Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] newbie soon to be on cpap
newbie soon to be on cpap
ill be soon on cpap i had my initial sleep study done on dec 13 2013 and got my results back on dec 24th 2013 with the results showing positive for sleep apnea i didnt go into detail with the doctor but now im waiting to have a cpap titration study done is there any thing i should ask when i go back to have the titration study ? also should i go with a full face mask or nasal mask or nasal pillows ? if some body could give me some pointers on what to go with while being a newbie to the cpap world . also what machine should i get because im doing research before i get my cpap machine.

thanks .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: newbie soon to be on cpap
It's better to go with a nasal mask, if possible, because full face masks tend to leak more.

Do your research and make sure you get a fully data-capable CPAP machine. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Machine choices and what to avoid
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Good fitting mask is essential for effective treatment, most of us go through half dozen or so masks to find a mask that is the right size and feel comfortable. Nasal pillows and nasal masks are preferable options as they have a smaller footprints than full face masks
People always on the lookout whenever a new mask becomes available almost like some fashion aficionado
Best of luck and welcome to the hoseheads world

Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you open your mouth and breathe through it at night, you don't need a full face mask. And even then, try a chin strap first.

Full face masks cover both the nose and the mouth. These are for those who cannot breathe through their nose or who mouth breathe at night.

Nasal pillows go inside the nostrils, have minimal contact, but can seem claustrophobic to some people.

Nasal masks cover just the nose. They range from small "cups" to larger sizes to fit a wide range of nose sizes and facial types.

Hybrid masks are part nasal pillows and part full face. It has a top half that inserts into the nostrils and a lower half that covers the mouth.

No two masks of the same type will fit the same. Even if they look almost the same, they will have different fit. So don't "settle" for a mask, keep trying them on until you find one that fits you and your face, your sleep style, and doesn't leak. It could be the first mask you try or your twelfth. During the titration study, they will have different masks for you to try which will give you an idea of which one you lean toward.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the portal to your resurrection!

Go with an Auto-CPAP machine for the most comfortable and effective therapy. As the previous posters already suggested, it's essential to get a fully data capable machine that will show you your AHI, leak rate and therapy pressure day by day! Try as many nasal masks as you can and go with the one that is the most comfortable, seals well and cleans easily.

Use it every time you close your eyes and your body and mind will thank you!

Go ahead and ask us a lot of questions! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. We are glad you have found us.

Read and learn as much as you can before Titration. I spent a month reading as much as I could from here. And when I didn't understand the terminology, I googled it. The success story thread was particularly helpful to me. I read 30+ pages of it. It encouragd me and helped instill determination. I decided early that I wanted an Auto machine. I have a ResMed S9 AutoSet. It has the capability of setting at a continuous pressure or an auto setting that changes pressure as needed. Some pressure needs change when sleeping positions change. I pushed for the auto machine even though my prescription was for a continuous pressure. Later if it is determined I need an auto setting, I already have the machine. I had read here that some got a CPAP machine and later were prescribed an APAP (Auto) and had to go through the motion of exchanging machines. Also full data capable as others have mentioned. You will be able to keep track of your progress. I keep a journal and every morning document my hours of usage, AHI (anything under 5 is normal), leak rate (under 24 L/min is acceptable).

The most important part of therapy is finding the right mask for you for comfort and also will work well with minimal leaks. That is an individual thing. There are many styles available. During my Titration they told me they only had two available at their small facility. Those two I didn't like at all. But admittedly I wasn't comfortable at all with anything. All the wires, feeling of machine, etc. It was hard to separate out if the machine or mask was the problem. I later found that the pressure setting they started me at was too low and uncomfortable which was part of the problem. They did then tell me they had a limited suppy of sample nasal masks (Wisp) that was much smaller on my nose which was a lot better and the thing I noticed immediately was the headgear was much softer and comfortable. When the respiratory therapist met with me to give me my machine, he had other masks and I tried the Swift FX nasal pillows that I liked and is what I am currently using. I was able to keep the Wisp as a backup mask as well. Keep in mind when trying masks that you are still getting used to how the machine feels too.

It takes some time to get used to therapy. There is a learning curve. The more you can read beforehand, the further ahead you will be with understanding your machine and settings. Also reading experiences of others and masks they have tried and use will give you an idea of what is available.

Good luck. It will get easier as you move forward and keep in mind OSA is dangerous. I had no idea what it was doing to my body and actually blaming some of the symptoms on other things. I learned a lot here at Apnea Board. Members are very encouraging, friendly, helpful, knowldgeable, and even funny.
Post Reply Post Reply
compwiz878,

Here's a link to my standard advice for folks who have been recently diagnosed with OSA and are in the process of getting the second sleep study (the titration study) scheduled and are beginning the process of finding a DME who will provide their equipment.

http://adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogs...-with.html
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2013, 12:39 PM)robysue Wrote: Here's a link to my standard advice for folks who have been recently diagnosed with OSA

Wow, nice blog, RobySue. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2013, 12:46 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(12-26-2013, 12:39 PM)robysue Wrote: Here's a link to my standard advice for folks who have been recently diagnosed with OSA

Wow, nice blog, RobySue. Coffee
Thanks!:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogspot.com
but when I click on it changes to "adventures-in-hosehead-land.blogspot.com.au"

robysue ... is "Buffalo, NY" somewhere in Australia
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie Q on using OSCAR for first time Tman1966 0 4 6 minutes ago
Last Post: Tman1966
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 383 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 131 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 203 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 483 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 268 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.