Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP nightmare
RE: CPAP nightmare
I've gone up to large nasal pillows from medium. I get better airflow but it doesn't stop me from forgetting to breathe as I fall asleep. I also get leakage issues with the large.

Last night I gave it 2 hours and had to take it off. I'm going to increase an hour each week until I am falling asleep with it on. I reviewed my data and the problem started when my pressure went up to 8. I'm dialing it down to 7 and sending my doctor a note as well so the resp tech doesn't get angry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the half pill of Ambien kind of helped. I got an hour of sleep on the CPAP, and 4 hours off. Small victories. Need to take a couple days off the Ambien then I'll try a full pill. Making things worse right now is the Zoloft that I just got back on, which increases my anxiety during the adjustment period.

Post Reply Post Reply
To go back to the soft cervical collar. They are indeed the ones your doctor gets you to wear when you have a bit of a neck problem and they are cheap.

As well as helping you to keep your mouth closed while you sleep they also do something no chinstrap can do which is to stop your chin drooping towards your chest (and further closing your airway).
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the cervical collar last night but couldn't fall asleep with it on. Had no problem falling asleep after I took it off... I'll keep trying.
Post Reply Post Reply
A whole Ambien pill got me to sleep fast, but I woke up at 12:45 and had to take the mask off, then slept until 3:30-4ish. At least I got my compliance in last night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 08:46 AM)bernerbits Wrote: A whole Ambien pill got me to sleep fast, but I woke up at 12:45 and had to take the mask off, then slept until 3:30-4ish. At least I got my compliance in last night.

Ambien works like that for me, too.

Why did you have to take the mask off? There are other choices.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't followed the whole thread: You've been working with nasal pillows. Have you tried a different type of mask? I've been using pillows for a while now, and in certain conditions I think they can shift and pinch closed or become constricted and make you feel air-starved. Maybe a different mask? Full face?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 09:08 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Why did you have to take the mask off? There are other choices.

To get some sleep. I'm still getting used to the thing and I've decided to take it off if I'm feeling any anxiety rather than try to stick it out. With the goal of increasing the amount of time sleeping with it as I become more and more comfortable.

I have some anxiety that's preventing me from getting through the night on the CPAP, as well as breathing issues right when I start to fall asleep which are keeping me up without a sleep aid. I'm told that these are normal (sleep onset centrals) and go away with time. I'm getting back on Zoloft to control my anxiety, but the first couple weeks actually INCREASE anxiety, so I'm trying not to make it worse by forcing myself to sleep with it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 09:34 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: I haven't followed the whole thread: You've been working with nasal pillows. Have you tried a different type of mask? I've been using pillows for a while now, and in certain conditions I think they can shift and pinch closed or become constricted and make you feel air-starved. Maybe a different mask? Full face?

I'm concerned that a full face mask will be even harder to fall asleep on. I'm going to wait until I feel the Zoloft has acclimated in my system (it increases my anxiety at first) before making further changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 09:34 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: I haven't followed the whole thread: You've been working with nasal pillows. Have you tried a different type of mask? I've been using pillows for a while now, and in certain conditions I think they can shift and pinch closed or become constricted and make you feel air-starved. Maybe a different mask? Full face?

If they shift or pinch, just wake up and re-adjust them. Make sure you are using the biggest size that you can (to get more air through).

What were your actual reasons for taking it off last night? What were you feeling? Analyze, please, so we can give you more unwanted suggestions Smile

(PS You must go to bed earlier than I do, if 12:45 got you your compliance! 12:45 would be only 15 minutes sleep, for me! Wink )
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 673 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
Gross First night Nightmare's Willowbender 3 618 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Willowbender
  My C PAP nightmare Gregz60 6 861 09-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Started therapy 5 days ago and it is a nightmare solycap 17 2,777 09-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Nightmare night............! Sleep2Snore 5 1,426 02-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  Changing PCP is a nightmare in the US TimtheEnchanter 8 1,942 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  The Nightmare has Ended DBTaylor 2 1,289 11-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.