Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP nightmare
RE: CPAP nightmare
(09-16-2016, 12:18 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: What were your actual reasons for taking it off last night? What were you feeling? Analyze, please, so we can give you more unwanted suggestions Smile

Well, Ambien was involved, but I think my thought was: "I don't think I can get back to sleep with this thing on. Am I at compliance? Ah, 4.2 hours. Off you go."
I just had a thought. Last week I changed my mask setting from x1 to x2 like it said on the mask, although I don't really know what this does. Maybe this could have done it? See my new thread below.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...eamstation
Post Reply Post Reply
Unwanted analysis: Ahhh, pre-supposing about "can't sleep with the mask on". Negative attitude! Scold, scold. Wink

If you actually felt suffocated or something, we would bombard you with suggestions. I suppose there may be "attitude" suggestions too, but I can't personally think of good ones.

I just read a note in another thread, saying she used Ambien for a week, and then no longer felt in fear of the mask, so she was okay without the Ambien from then on. Could be worth a try .....
Post Reply Post Reply
I do feel suffocated. As soon as I start to fall asleep I have a sensation of not breathing and I wake up to take a breath. Hence my not thinking I can get back to sleep without Ambien - I spent 2 long, sleepless nights trying to do it and feeling suffocated each time I started to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
While you are still awake, (and breathing, of course), do you get enough air then? If you feel oxygen starved after 20-30 minutes, maybe try a bigger nasal pillow, to let more air flow.

Do you find that, while trying to fall asleep, you are noticing every breath? Those are my clues that I'm too clogged up, and need to use an antihistamine (but that's my specific issue). I find I am noticing every breath. So, even though I *think* I'm breathing ok, I'll take the mask off and see how clogged up I am. I need to be pretty open, for my sleep-shallow breaths to work. When I'm not partially clogged, I don't even notice my breathing; I just notice conscious relaxation steps to fall asleep. That's different.

If you aren't clogged, and you can breathe okay while awake and wearing the mask (after 20 minutes or so, you don't at the end feel starved for oxygen) .... then, other people? Maybe he needs some machine settings changed. Like, less ramp or less exhale relief. Somebody know specifics of his DreamStation type machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Like I've said before, for the first 4 days I was able to fall asleep with relaxation techniques, a bit of melatonin and an occasional Benadryl. I'd wake up a few times throughout the night but still get about 4-5 hours of sleep on the CPAP. Then something changed on Saturday night and I've been feeling suffocated whenever I start to fall asleep. I do find that I'm breathing consciously while I'm awake, but I don't feel oxygen starved until my unconscious breathing takes over.

I'm allergic to the dog dander in the carpet that the previous owners left behind, and so I get congested. But the humidifier seems to be helping clear my passages, or at least it seems clearer than normal when I breathe.

I'm already using the largest pillows.
I've gone to the psychiatrist to get back on anti-anxiety meds in case this is caused by anxiety. (Ironically this causes some anxiety while my body adjusts to the new medication.)
I'm seeing a sleep therapist in case it's actual insomnia.
I've tried minimum pressures at 7 and 8 with the same effect.

Ramp starts at 5 and is 45 minutes long. I've had the problem with and without ramp. I have not tried reducing the FLEX.

Perhaps a full face mask would help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe skip the ramp completely. At starting pressures around 7-8, there's really no need. You might be falling asleep when the pressures are still low enough that your inhalations are needing higher pressures and the ramp is still limiting itself to a low pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 02:28 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: Maybe skip the ramp completely. At starting pressures around 7-8, there's really no need. You might be falling asleep when the pressures are still low enough that your inhalations are needing higher pressures and the ramp is still limiting itself to a low pressure.

As I've said, I've had the problem with and without ramp. If setting back to X2 doesn't work I'll try 9.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've read other people claiming that this air-hunger feeling is just part of adjusting to the new CPAP and goes away on its own.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 02:35 PM)bernerbits Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 02:28 PM)KSMatthew Wrote: Maybe skip the ramp completely. At starting pressures around 7-8, there's really no need. You might be falling asleep when the pressures are still low enough that your inhalations are needing higher pressures and the ramp is still limiting itself to a low pressure.

As I've said, I've had the problem with and without ramp. If setting back to X2 doesn't work I'll try 9.
I'm out of ideas.

I hope you find the right combination soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm gonna try X2 and 9 cmH2O this weekend, giving myself 2 hours to fall asleep before I remove it. My neurologist also recommended extended release melatonin. If those don't work I'll give the DME a call to change to a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 687 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
Gross First night Nightmare's Willowbender 3 620 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Willowbender
  My C PAP nightmare Gregz60 6 867 09-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Started therapy 5 days ago and it is a nightmare solycap 17 2,787 09-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Nightmare night............! Sleep2Snore 5 1,441 02-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  Changing PCP is a nightmare in the US TimtheEnchanter 8 1,964 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  The Nightmare has Ended DBTaylor 2 1,294 11-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.