Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP nightmare
RE: CPAP nightmare
(09-21-2016, 11:21 AM)chill Wrote: Another thing to consider is 5-HTP. It is a naturally occurring amino acid that is a precursor to serotonin which is then converted into melatonin (that is a very high level summary). You might find that this boosts your serotonin, in turn boosting your melatonin leading to better sleep. I found that melatonin at bed time was like getting clubbed in the head. Taking 5-HTP earlier in the day produced overall better results.

I would not lean on this long term. I started taking this as an anti-depressant and it worked for that. But it focuses on one small part of a larger system and after a couple of years, I developed a dopamine imbalance that left me severely depressed.

Hi Chill,

Since both 5-HTP and Zoloft increase serotonin, Berner Bits needs to definitely consult with his doctors about whether this would be safe to take at night since the side effects from too much serotonin obviously wouldn't be good. For more information google "5 htp with ssri". The second result comes with the RX list site and the possible dangers from doing this.

Great advice about not leaning on it long term and sorry you developed a dopamine imbalance.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
My neurologist is going to get the ball rolling on Lunesta. I need prior auth from the insurance company to pay for it so it will be a few days. She also says to increase the Zoloft dose because that will get me the therapeutic effect sooner. I'm going to try the 5mg/5mg split of the immediate release ambien tonight, to see if that works better to get me sleeping.

She says that she sees this with some patients - those predisposed to anxiety and insomnia have a very hard time getting used to CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I should have made that clear. I used the 5-HTP under a doctor's supervision. You don't want to take a hobbyist approach to brain altering substances even if they are sold without prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking of anxiety, could a moderator please change the title from "CPAP Nightmare" to something a little more benign? I get a little on edge any time I see the thread name.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bernerbits

I'm not a moderator but one thing you can do is simply start a new thread and you pick the subject.

Then everyone will be talking on that one and you won't have to see the old one.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
Thread is continued here. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...omnia-saga
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 621 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
Gross First night Nightmare's Willowbender 3 604 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Willowbender
  My C PAP nightmare Gregz60 6 835 09-23-2021, 07:40 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Started therapy 5 days ago and it is a nightmare solycap 17 2,750 09-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Nightmare night............! Sleep2Snore 5 1,390 02-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Last Post: kiwii
  Changing PCP is a nightmare in the US TimtheEnchanter 8 1,919 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  The Nightmare has Ended DBTaylor 2 1,272 11-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.