Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] nose surgery = open air way = Bi pap doesn't work?
Arrow 
nose surgery = open air way = Bi pap doesn't work?
Good Morning,

nose surgery = open air way = Bi pap auto sv advanced doesn't work?

I assume I need new sleep study and new settings, but until that can be arranged can someone give me a good strategy for changing the settings? (I know how to change the settings)

Current settings : Max Pressure 25, epap min 6, epap max 15, PS min 0,
PS max 19, rate auto, Bi flex 3

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nose surgery = open air way = Bi pap doesn't work?
First, you are using a machine typically used to treat central sleep apena or complex apnea. So a surgical solution targeting obstructive sleep apnea may or may not improve your situation.

There is no way to comment on your settings without knowing what is going on. The best way to get there is to look at the machine data to see what pressures are actually being used, and the types and frequency of events. Download the free Sleepyhead program at the link at the top of this page, install it on a computer and load your machine's SD card data. You currently have fairly low EPAPmin pressure of 6.0 and a minimum pressure support of 0.0. So if there are no events or obstruction, you machine may be loitering at 6.0 all night...no problem. OTOH, you have a max EPAP of 15 and PSmax of 15. So if you are having obstructive events, your machine pressure is probably rising, and if it detects central events, your machine may be using considerable pressure support to induce a breath, overcome hypopnea or periodic breathing. Without knowing any of this, no recommendation is possible.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, (machine IS using considerable pressure support to induce a breath, overcome hypopnea or periodic breathing.) It blows out mask ! with the pressure settings that was percribed and that i listed.
But last night I changed the settings and reset the data. Max pressure 20, Min Epap 4, Max epap 12, min PS 0, maxPS 12.
Results: large leak 12%, Blower hrs 3.9, therapy time 3.06, AHI 12.3, perodic b 3, 90% epap 8, ave PS 2.3
Post Reply Post Reply
TMONK, we need to know the breakdown of the AHI between obstructive and central or clear. It sure doesn't sound like you can wean off your Auto SV machine as a result of the nasal surgery. It would really help for you to use Sleepyhead software to get a better overall picture. http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

If the results from your pressure changes were not as comfortable or less effective, you might want to return to the previous settings. I think the EPAPmin setting of 6.0 was a good one. You might be able to reduce the PSmax to as low as 10.0. This would avoid the machine going off quite as strongly when you have a CA event. Without looking at data, I can't comment on the EPAPmax as that number is really contingent on obstructive events. Once you have sleepyhead, you can attach a screenshot of the data, or post it from a hosted image. This tutorial might help.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TMONK,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You, I'll try loading the softwar in a few days. don't have the time now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi TMONK,

I recently had nasal turbinate reduction along with revision of a deviated septum. All this did was to make xPAP therapy much easier to do. I have Central Apnea and therefore don't have collapsed airways but for those whose airways collapse during sleep the nasal region is the least involved. You may want to change your settings but as Sleeprider said we need to know much more to provide suggestions.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 73 8 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,804 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,963 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,222 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.