Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP not making me happy - help
RE: CPAP not making me happy - help
The machine, once adjusted properly will keep you functioning and KEEP you ALIVE.

The price to pay is small.

Cheers!

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome dasjell!

I do think you will feel satisfaction when you are convinced you are getting the best treatment. That comes with proper adjustments, time, and gradual confidence. The CPAP therapy seems foreign to most new users, and the brain and body sometimes take a while to accept the strange feeling. That, in itself can disturb sleep until assimilation occurs.

At this point, it is more likely that you do have adjustments that make sense to try. So, investigate software choices, and get some real info to share and compare. Straight off, I am guessing disruptions are related to leakage, skin sensitivity, humidity, and mask fit.

Since you have a deviated septum, you may get better results laying on one side versus another. Data can help you determine that, but minus data - you may also just sleep on one side primarily for a couple nights and compare.

Any of the adjustments take some time, so keep being patient. Smile

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok everyone. I imported data into sleeepyhead but was really looking for data on how I fall into and out of deep and light stage sleep. I think that may be the problem and why my numbers look good but I still feel tired in the morning.

Teeth clench up going from deep to light sleep and I think I am not getting the deep sleep I need because of my deviated septum - CPAP may not be the answer. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
From your numbers, it looks like you are getting good therapy. It also shows that the machine is "reacting" to issues of obstructive airflow, because it shows your 90% pressure being significantly above your minimum pressure. It's nice to see that, so far, your pressure does not approach the 14 cmH2O level (your maximum pressure setting). You could adjust the minimum/starting pressure slowly to approach your 90% pressure. I have seen others suggest that your minimum should be within 2 cmH2O of the 90% pressure, or 7.5 cmH2O in your case. So changing your settings from 6 - 14 to 7.5 - 14 would be a good step.

As for your "clenching", how do you know you do this, and that it coincides with you changing from deep to light sleep? If you are feeling some pain or discomfort, is it at the tooth/gum line or at the jaw hinge point (side burns/next to ear region)?

Good luck.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quiescence - Thank you for responding.

Jaw feels sore most mornings and the dentist who I went to see for sleep dental device (which he didn't recommend I get) said that often times when the jaw feels sore or tired in the morning then it's a sign that I am not getting enough deep sleep. My teeth are also flattened on the service which is a sign that I am clenching.

My fitbit (showing restlessness events) and CPAP don't really show the levels of sleep so its tough to know.

I'll be trying the full mask soon just to see the difference between that and the pillows. Maybe that will help.
Post Reply Post Reply
The information on your Daily Details would be much more useful than summary stats. I have seen people that have low AHI and decent therapy hours but their sleep is very fragmented with discontinuations of the therapy. There are also things that don't tend to show up in AHI like flow limitations and RERA which can have a profound effect on feeling rested.

I agree with QAL, the summary statistics look just fine. There are so many causes for fragmented or poor sleep that go beyond sleep apnea that it's frustrating when CPAP doesn't turn out to be the ultimate cure. Apnea may just be a part of the problem and can't cure stress, poor sleep hygiene, psychological issues, RLS and many other causes of poor sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 03:38 PM)dasjell Wrote: Thank you everyone for your support! It looks like I'm not the only one who has sleep apnea. I will say this though, I am looking for a better night sleep with CPAP . . .I don't merely want to survive. I want to function throughout the day and feel good . . . otherwise what's the use.

Before I take my SD card out of my machine I want to make sure that sleepyhead supports this model Airsense 10. Sleepyhead documentation doesn't seem to include that model but that info could be old. I will post graph once I get the answer.

Another alternative I am told is to press both the machine home button and the dial and hold for 3 sec. to get more detailed stats. Worried though that it might erase some data.

I can say that yes Sleepy Head does support the ResMed Air Sense 10. If you don't feel rested after being on the machine it can be due to not being able to get into a deep sleep with it. Maybe you are making it to stage 2 only. This would account for feeling sleepy in the morning. It may mean that you need to get used to having the mask on, and in some cases doctors have given patients sleeping pills to help them sleep for the first week or two. It will help you once you are able to sleep with it and not wake up or have RERA's. Sleepy Head will tell you what is going on so get the card and use the software. Hang in there it takes a lot of time and patience to get it to work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 173 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 286 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 851 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.