Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP pillow use
CPAP pillow use
I am looking into purchasing a CPAP pillow for my mother.  (You may have read the our "lip stuck" post).  She sleeps on her back but turns her head to the right.   She has deficits from a stroke so cannot reposition her body during the night. 
It seems that the pillow would only help if she starts the night near the opening on the right so that when she turns her head the mask goes in the hole.  Is that how the pillow is to be used?

Right now she uses a pillow wedge that elevates her head and shoulders slightly and a very flat, soft pillow.  I am concerned that the CPAP pillow will be too firm for her liking.  Are there any soft ones?

Sometimes, during the night she has managed to angle the top of her body off to the left but still on her back.  If she does this, I realize the opening in the pillow will no longer be of use which increases my hesitancy to purchase.

Any comments from users of CPAP pillows are much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP pillow use
I use a buckwheat/foam combination pillow.   In fact, I have three.   My wife, not a PAPer, loves the support it provides.  The pillow comes overfilled so you can adjust the amount to fit the user.  The problem with a soft pillow is it will compress under the head causing the surrounding area to push the mask off if you are facing to the side.  These pillows don't do this.   Google: "CPAPfit CPAP Pillow" for further information.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the CPAPfit pillow and recommend it highly. You can get it from amazon for $49.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Crimson Nape. I see that pillow is available on Amazon. I checked my mom's head/mask vs. pillow just now. I moved her pillow all the way to the side so the mask would go next to the pillow if her head is turned 90 degrees (like to simulate a hole in the standard CPAP pillows). What I realized is that her neck never turns the full 90 degrees so I don't think the mask is hitting the pillow. I wonder though if the pillow can be impacting the headgear on that side of her face, though? The straps on that side are much tighter than the other otherwise she gets lots of leaks.
Will post again if I get pillow to let you and others know if it helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a ResMed memory foam cpap pillow. It works very well for me both when I'm sleeping on my side and when on my back. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone using a cpap machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2017, 11:04 AM)Kadenz Wrote: I have a ResMed memory foam cpap pillow. It works very well for me both when I'm sleeping on my side and when on my back. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone using a cpap machine.

Interesting.  I never knew Resmed made a memory foam pillow!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ditto RedNeck and the buckwheat sentiments. Best pillow I've ever owned!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 450 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 340 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph
  CPAP LUNDBERG Pillow shoulder pain Roy289 2 396 12-26-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Roy289
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.