Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP pillow, worth it?
CPAP pillow, worth it?
Mostly a side sleeper, but occasional on back. Are the CPAP pillows worth it, or just a waste of $$? 

AirTouch F20 mask, best I've ever worn.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP pillow, worth it?
Dose you mask get uncomfortable when ln your side or leak ? Is you answered yes it might be helpful. That is my opinion. I personally have a pillow designed for side sleeping and back sleeping. I had this pillow before apap but it works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My personal experience with "CPAP Pillows" has never been satisfying. I have tried perhaps three different types, and none has ever worked any better than just sleeping at the edge of a common cheap bed pillow from any local department store. I feel that the "CPAP Pillow" is just another method to separate the patient from his money with no real benefit whatever. Incidentally, I am a deliberate side sleeper and have used XPAP for over 30 years.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
A buckwheat pillow was the best investment I made for the CPAP. My wife tried it and I had to get one for her and she doesn't use a CPAP. I tried a CPAP pillow that resembled dog bone and it was a waste of money for me. Try a search on amazon for "Firm FitMe Pillow:".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a crap shoot. My experience is exactly the opposite from Crimson Nape .
I am doing fine with a dog bone shaped pillow but feel my buying a buckwheat
pillow was a waste of money but even though I don't like mine most people love
them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through what I consider a small fortune on pillow combinations from super stores. Finally settled on My Pillow when I saw them setup at Costco. Still an expensive pillow, but the firm suits me well. I only have the one pillow to sleep on now and its sufficient versus a two pillow configuration.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2018, 05:26 PM)mdhampton Wrote: Mostly a side sleeper, but occasional on back. Are the CPAP pillows worth it, or just a waste of $$? 

Not a waste of money – in fact, a great investment, if it works for you.  Unfortunately, you can only find out by spending a little – or more likely a lot – of $$ or $$$.

But, as you have seen, there are a lot of folk who have experience, and range of opinions on how satisfied they were.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2018, 07:39 PM)ShaunBlake Wrote:
(06-03-2018, 05:26 PM)mdhampton Wrote: Mostly a side sleeper, but occasional on back. Are the CPAP pillows worth it, or just a waste of $$? 

Not a waste of money – in fact, a great investment, if it works for you.  Unfortunately, you can only find out by spending a little – or more likely a lot – of $$ or $$$.

But, as you have seen, there are a lot of folk who have experience, and range of opinions on how satisfied they were.

Excellent summation Shaun!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
IMO it would seem the pillow search and the mask search are somewhat similar. For one thing these are very personal choices. Not every pillow or mask will result in best fit. Some are going to work better for you than they do someone else, but the goal is to find the "Goldilocks" of the pillow or mask. We each hope we find our best selection before spending a Brinks armored car's worth of money and have a warehouse of too hard or too soft failed pillow choices.

Tune in next week while we continue with advice anybody could spout out on the "New Adventures of Captain Obvious". Crazy

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a stomach sleeper, it seemed clear to me that a dogbone-shaped pillow or anything with notch would be the ticket to help keep my P10 from pressing into my nose. I purchased a CPAP Max 2.0 from Contour Living since it had great reviews. It is provided with multiple removable layers to let the user choose the firmness and height. Ultimately, and unfortunately, it didn't work for me and I sleep better with my old habit of scrunching up a corner of a down pillow -- perhaps I'm just too used to sleeping on something softer than foam. Bottom line -- for sale, one highly rated CPAP pillow, lightly used for only one week.
My older sis uses a buckwheat neck pillow because she was getting ear pain and the shape of her neck pillow avoids pressure on her ear. I can see how that would work for some folks, but for me, it might take a while to get used to the stiffness.
Anyway-- I agree with the above conclusions -- if it works for you, congrats!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,742 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 922 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 451 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Equipment] N30i / P30i pillow attachment fail glomph 2 342 01-09-2024, 09:10 PM
Last Post: glomph

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.