Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: resmed?s9
CPAP Pressure: 5.0
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
pressures
does u r pressure to the full mask, as well as u r nasal pillows apply equally?or does the full mask require additional cms of pressure?
09-21-2012 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
JudgeMental Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics DreamStation Auto-CPAP
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Amara View
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 11-14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: pressures
The answer to your question is this. The set pressure will be equal in all masks, regardless of maker or style. The pressure may appear to be a bit stronger to some people who choose to use a nasal pillows style because of the more direct input.

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
09-21-2012 11:16 AM
jdireton Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: ClimateLine Hose

If you use a nasal mask, the pressure is equally applied to the outside of the nose as well as the inside. You may feel some pressure in your sinuses, but the rest of the body parts that are pressurized (assuming you don't have a mouth breathing issue) are fairly robust and you likely won't "feel" anything.

If you use nasal pillows, the pressure inside your nose is at the higher xPAP pressure and the pressure outside your nose is still at atmospheric. Some people will feel this as an "inflation" or "pressure" in their nose. Usually this is inconvenient, at worst, and you'll adjust to where you won't notice it quickly.

If you use a full face mask, the pressure inside your mouth is at xPAP pressure and the pressure outside your mouth (areas outside the mask seal skirt) is still at atmospheric. I've heard the phrase "Chipmonk Cheeks" applied to the feeling of pressure in the mouth felt on the cheeks. Again, mostly inconvenient and most people adjust to it quickly.

Most modern machines will have a setting for the type of mask you use. Some have a table of settings for their (the machine manufacturers) masks, so you might have to guess if you're using a mask not made by the company. My guess is this setting lets the machine know what the normal leak rate (purge through vents) is for that type of mask as well as tweaks some of the settings based on the flow characteristics of that type mask to optimize treatment.

Now matter what, the pressure supplied will be correct! Don't worry about that. The way you feel the pressure in your face and your sinuses may change with different masks, giving you the feeling that the pressure is "stronger" or "weaker." I'd never recommend anyone change their pressure based on this feeling. If it is too uncomfortable, look for a different mask. Even in the same style (nasal mask, nasal cushions, full face), the seal systems are dramatically different.

Hope this helps!

Sleep-well
09-21-2012 11:51 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Some CPAP machines adjust the pressure slightly based on the type of mask. This is what the System One Resistance setting is for on the Philips-Respironics machines. I'm pretty sure ResMed machines make the same adjustments when you enter the mask type into the machine's memory.

These adjustments are small, I think. At most maybe 0.5 cm.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-21-2012 12:58 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi pilots100, WELCOME! to the forum.!

trish6hundred
09-21-2012 01:43 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(09-21-2012 10:29 AM)pilots100 Wrote:  does u r pressure to the full mask, as well as u r nasal pillows apply equally?or does the full mask require additional cms of pressure?
It might feel more pressure with nasal pillows as opposed to full face as full face cover larger area and prone to leaks
Make sure to select the correct type of mask that you,re using so the S9 can works out mask leak rates providing its Not the S9 Escape
09-21-2012 02:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question on masks that will handle higher pressures like 27 nanook683 13 894 09-21-2016 07:14 AM
Last Post: nanook683
  Help (Resetting Pressures) Linda57 9 501 08-19-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  95%/ max pressures rising - wondering why? Carbon 7 744 05-08-2016 04:53 PM
Last Post: zonk
  Help please with fine-tuning Resmed ASV pressures Asjb 9 708 04-29-2016 04:48 AM
Last Post: Asjb
  [Pressure] Danger Involved - Changing your own CPAP pressures SuperSleeper 99 29,858 04-12-2016 04:51 PM
Last Post: FrankNichols
  What do pressures mean Inky1 18 1,614 03-28-2016 07:26 AM
Last Post: Ed1101
  [Treatment] Cant seem to adjust pressures Cookie 24 2,307 10-31-2015 07:05 AM
Last Post: Cookie