Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP problems
RE: CPAP problems
Quote:I tried a nasal mask but my doctor wants me to have a full face mask.

Did your doctor tell you why he/she wants you to use a ffm? They are more prone to leaks and other issues. Nasal masks, nasal pillows are not as likely to have leak issues unless you are a mouth breather which using a chin strap and/or mask liners to help with the leaks from your mouth. Nasal masks and pillows are generally less expensive as well.

As mentioned, you can try a hybrid mask that is considered a ffm. The one I have seen is nasal pillows with the oral mask that covers your mouth. Nothing covers your nose (at least on the one that I have seen).

There are options but you would need to find what works best for you. Your doctor may want you to use a ffm, but, he isn't in your skin using the masks and having the issues you are having. Unless there is a medical reason that your doctor wants you to use a ffm, I would ask for and try a different type of mask. JMHO.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 02:12 AM)me50 Wrote:
Quote:I tried a nasal mask but my doctor wants me to have a full face mask.

Did your doctor tell you why he/she wants you to use a ffm? They are more prone to leaks and other issues. Nasal masks, nasal pillows are not as likely to have leak issues unless you are a mouth breather which using a chin strap and/or mask liners to help with the leaks from your mouth. Nasal masks and pillows are generally less expensive as well.

As mentioned, you can try a hybrid mask that is considered a ffm. The one I have seen is nasal pillows with the oral mask that covers your mouth. Nothing covers your nose (at least on the one that I have seen).

There are options but you would need to find what works best for you. Your doctor may want you to use a ffm, but, he isn't in your skin using the masks and having the issues you are having. Unless there is a medical reason that your doctor wants you to use a ffm, I would ask for and try a different type of mask. JMHO.

I am a mouth breather .
Post Reply Post Reply
have you tried a nasal mask/pillow with a chin strap?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 08:40 PM)me50 Wrote: have you tried a nasal mask/pillow with a chin strap?

I cannot use a nasal ,I tried again last night/
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DonDiegoDeLaVega. You might like to look at a Pad-a-cheek mask liner. They have a soft pad which goes across the bridge of the nose to prevent rubbing. I always got a red mark on my nose, even with the relatively soft Quattro Air mask, but the Pad-a-cheek has fixed that completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 09:08 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi DonDiegoDeLaVega. You might like to look at a Pad-a-cheek mask liner. They have a soft pad which goes across the bridge of the nose to prevent rubbing. I always got a red mark on my nose, even with the relatively soft Quattro Air mask, but the Pad-a-cheek has fixed that completely.
Thanks ,I will look into that
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 09:02 AM)DonDiegoDeLaVega Wrote:
(01-16-2014, 08:40 PM)me50 Wrote: have you tried a nasal mask/pillow with a chin strap?

what happened when you used your nasal mask (was it a nasal mask or nasal pillow)?

Just trying to see what might help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2014, 11:43 AM)me50 Wrote:
(01-18-2014, 09:02 AM)DonDiegoDeLaVega Wrote:

what happened when you used your nasal mask (was it a nasal mask or nasal pillow)?

Just trying to see what might help you.

it felt as though I was drowning .Last night I used the mask that I wore during my sleep study ,no redness but still bruising of the nose. I have had sleep apnea at least 10 years prior to trying a CPAP 2 months ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
[/quote]

it felt as though I was drowning .Last night I used the mask that I wore during my sleep study ,no redness but still bruising of the nose. I have had sleep apnea at least 10 years prior to trying a CPAP 2 months ago.
[/quote]

maybe the head gear is too tight if it is bruising your nose. glad you are getting treatment and if you are happy with your ffm and it is working, then that is great. what works for some of us doesn't work for others. masks are so individual.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried quite a few masks since April 2013 as I also have to have a full face mask. Currently I am changing the masks over every couple of days. The three masks that I currently use are the respironic life and Perfor Max that are full face masks and the other one I also use the Quattra Air which covers the nose and mouth. Because of my eczema I change the mask so that I dont end up having a flare up of it. I do find that I get sore on the bridge of the nose when using Quattra Air.
Dee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,005 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,839 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,565 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 996 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 461 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.