Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] question about leaks
question about leaks
I have been looking at the daily report from the sleepyhead software and I am noticing that there are two different kinds of leaks: total and just leaks. What is the difference? the leaks are very low between 0 & 5 but the total leaks goes up even as high as 30. is that bad? I've been using the C PAP machine for a week and a half ( newly diagnosed) and I feel worse than ever. I have more morning headaches and can't think straight....I fear the treatment is not helping me at all, and in fact is making me worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
ooops
I just went back and looked at the leak data since I started using the C PAP and it looks like my total leaks go sometimes as high as 180. this is all so complicated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: question about leaks
Hi dpp11,
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to, so hang with it; the mask is the hardest part of the whole thing.
FFMs can be very proned to leaks, have you considered trying a different type of mask?
Hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up you've only been doing this for a short time.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 12:04 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi dpp11,
CPAP therapy can take some time to get used to, so hang with it; the mask is the hardest part of the whole thing.
FFMs can be very proned to leaks, have you considered trying a different type of mask?
Hang in there for more suggestions and don't give up you've only been doing this for a short time.

Post Reply Post Reply
I started with a Swift FX mask (nasal pillows) with a chinstrap just a week ago. After getting past the initial adjustments (had lots of mouth leaks the first few nights and one night had an AHI over 30), I found that it worked wonderfully ... and I'm set in an auto range that's almost identical to yours (7-13). Today when I got up my AHI was 0.5 and I hardly knew I had the mask on.

The key is you've got to work at "individualizing" the fit of whatever mask you use; but just don't go too long if you aren't finding success. Also, though counter-intuitive, I think there's a tendency for us new users to over tighten. (When my mask is working best the straps feel almost loose when I pull on them.)

You should be able to exchange masks for different types and brands (within 30 days of receiving each newest mask, as I understand it). Don't be shy about asking to try more; and keep persisting. Even though only a week, after the first nights of frustration, once I found the "right" settings for me, it was like night and day the way I felt the next morning. I'm here to say it's worth the effort and frustration. Just don't give up. Smile

(08-18-2013, 09:01 AM)dpp11 Wrote: I have been looking at the daily report from the sleepyhead software and I am noticing that there are two different kinds of leaks: total and just leaks. What is the difference? the leaks are very low between 0 & 5 but the total leaks goes up even as high as 30. is that bad? I've been using the C PAP machine for a week and a half ( newly diagnosed) and I feel worse than ever. I have more morning headaches and can't think straight....I fear the treatment is not helping me at all, and in fact is making me worse.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ooops
(08-18-2013, 09:16 AM)dpp11 Wrote: I just went back and looked at the leak data since I started using the C PAP and it looks like my total leaks go sometimes as high as 180. this is all so complicated
Hi dpp11
PR System One report total leak (intentional leak plus unintentional leak)
@10 Quattro FX intentional leak (vents leak rate) 31 L/min so the unintentional leak (mask and mouth leak) 149 L/min (180 - 31)
180 L/min is way too high for the machine to report the data accurately

These might be of some help (mask choices, cleaning, fittings, etc) http://www.resmed.com/au/service_and_sup...c=patients

Fitting instructions http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA23652FAF5627F3F

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dpp11,
I just encourage you to stick with CPAP therapy. The mask is the hardest part of it all so, don't be shy about asking to try as many masks 'til you find the one that works for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and don't give up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Trish. My new mask arrived today and it seems much more friendly. It is a ResMed Quattro Air. I am really hoping this mask will work for me because the provider said this mask was given to me as a courtesy and if it doesn't workout I will need to buy the next one myself. I was tired before the treatment, but now I am tired beyond what I could ever have imagined. My pressure setting goes up to 12 but on the SleepyHead software it looks like I reach that level quite often. Do you think if the setting was higher I might actually start to feel like I slept well ? Well thanks again for the support, it helps a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to have a look at a post I made here where I explain about the leaks. Hopefully it answers your question.
Post Reply Post Reply
First, don't give up. Leaks are a major problem for all users. It may be the mask is wrong for you, it my be you don't have it tight enough on your face, it could be you have it to tight. It could be you are a restless sleeper and are flopping all over the place in bed. These are all problems that will cause moderate to completely unacceptable leakage. The more leakage you have, the less air you are getting. Hang in there and focus on solving the leaks. Solving the leaks means understanding why you are leaking. This sometimes can be tough because how can you figure this out if you are half asleep? Be patient and pay attention to what has happened when you do wake up. We're you on you side and the thing was all off kilter? I had to train myself to sleep only on my back, and when I did go to my side, I did it very carefully and bought the right pillow to ease into a position that did not screw up the placement of the mask. Sounds like a pain, and it is. But you have no choice if you want to get well and live longer!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel WORSE after getting Leaks under control - hopeless HarleyGirl63 3 117 Yesterday, 01:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 468 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 390 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 157 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 579 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 947 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 395 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.