Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP rainouts
CPAP rainouts
How can I reduce CPAP rainouts? Do I have to change the humidifier?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP rainouts
Humidity level may need to go down or if you have a heated hose, you can turn it up to prevent moisture.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a surprisingly complex issue and comes up often. Starting with the basics first, rainout occurs when the humid air condenses on the walls of the tube, in the mask or around the hose connection to the machine. Hoses can be heated to mitigate this but, in my experience, rain out can still happen.

As already stated, the trick is to ensure the condensation doesn't happen, by using and maintaining sufficient heat in the hose, managing the humidity level, or both.

It also helps to manage the hose positioning so that it doesn't form into a droop that causes the condensation to pool, which is when the dreaded 'gurgleknock' happens.

There will now ensue a class in rainout prevention and others in here will explain what works for them and their machine. What works for you will probably be a synthesis of the advice.

In my case it was exactly that - a combination of getting the humidity and hose temp combo right, positioning the hose effectively and using a hose fleece to keep the hose warm. I still get the occasional gurgle, but not very often.

Oh and, unless the Auto humidity setting works for you, the changing seasons/temps will mean you have to keep on top of this with adjustments.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, I've also noticed the rainout, even on my heated hose. I have since returned it because I think it had a hole in it---knocking and popping like crazy on exhales, and this was at the beginning of therapy so it wasn't wet.  I eliminated all other possibilities and determined a hole somewhere. 

I hooked on my old Philips non heated hose and it worked like a charm. Surprisingly no rainout either. 

I will order another ResMed heated hose, but what I don't like is the stiffness of the hose---really annoying. Anyway to rectify this?  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2021, 06:41 AM)Rice95 Wrote: yes, I've also noticed the rainout, even on my heated hose. I have since returned it because I think it had a hole in it---knocking and popping like crazy on exhales, and this was at the beginning of therapy so it wasn't wet.  I eliminated all other possibilities and determined a hole somewhere. 
Cats? Unsure

Was it set on auto or manual?
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Rainout

Set the temp on the machine on auto or at least a few degrees above what the AC thermostat is set at.  Also get a real indoor thermometer and see the temp in the bedroom is at night.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
No cats lol 
I went to Vegas for a week and I think in the travel/hotel use it must have been punctured somehow. 
Not sure on the setting you are referring too? I have the machine on Auto and humidity set to 4
Post Reply Post Reply
I see now why I don’t see the temp option 
I have a standard hose now until my new heated hose arrives
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2021, 09:56 AM)Rice95 Wrote: No cats lol 
I went to Vegas for a week and I think in the travel/hotel use it must have been punctured somehow. 
Not sure on the setting you are referring too? I have the machine on Auto and humidity set to 4
Different kind of cats in Vegas...  Laugh-a-lot It was a long shot on the real felines..

This on the climate line..  Have you tried them both on Auto?

Quote:Climate Control Climate Control is an intelligent system that controls the humidifier and the ClimateLineAir heated air tubing to deliver constant, comfortable temperature and humidity levels during therapy. Designed to prevent dryness of the nose and mouth, it maintains the set temperature and relative humidity while you sleep. Climate Control can be set to either Auto or Manual and is only available when both the ClimateLineAir and the HumidAir humidifier are attached. Climate Control Auto Climate Control Auto is the recommended and default setting. Climate Control Auto is designed to make therapy as easy as possible, so there is no need to change the temperature or humidity settings. The Tube Temperature is set to Auto (80°F [27°C]) and Climate Control adjusts the humidifier output to maintain a constant, comfortable humidity level of 85% relative humidity while protecting against rainout (water droplets in the air tubing and mask). Tube Temperature In Climate Control Auto there is no need to change any settings, but if the air in the mask feels too warm or cold you can adjust the tube temperature to find what is most comfortable for you. You can set the Tube Temperature to anywhere between 60–86°F (16–30°C), or turn it off completely. To adjust the Tube Temperature: 1. In My Options, turn the dial to highlight Tube Temperature and then press the dial. 2. Turn the dial to adjust the temperature and press the dial to save the change.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2021, 10:06 AM)Rice95 Wrote: I see now why I don’t see the temp option 
I have a standard hose now until my new heated hose arrives

AH...   Okay
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.