Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] s9 autoset leak
s9 autoset leak
I have recently purchased a resmed S9 autoset. An example of my readings are- mask fit good ,AHI 3.4,Leak 32 (which I believe is much too high. I have even taped my mouth up which has no bearing on the reading.Has anyone else had this problem?If so what did they do about it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: s9 autoset leak
Lots of people have that problem Bill. The answer is to re-evaluate your mask fit. I don't much care for the "mask fit" thing the machine does. It usually thinks what it needs to do is insure the mask won't leak at a very high pressure. Then, in the real world, the mask is "fitted" too tight. So it's uncomfortable, and often the little pillows don't inflate right, and everything gets unhappy.

The mask should be snug when you put it on, not tight. If it's tight when you put it on it's going to be too tight under pressure.

The other issue is mouth leaks, which it sounds like you suspect. I don't believe in "taping." It just seems to me to be a bad idea waiting to happen. However a chinstrap is frequently needed to "encourage" the jaw to stay forward and the mouth to stay shut. That's primarily to establish the proper position for the airway block, which is the tongue held against the roof of the mouth. It takes a little getting used to but in a few days you'll be a pro.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BILL,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap to see if that will help you get your leaks under control.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Retired _ Guy. I omitted to say that I am also using a chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Bill, use the chinstrap UNDER the mask. Otherwise frolicking about in the night the chinstrap can cause the mask to leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2014, 07:11 PM)BILL COLLINS Wrote: I have recently purchased a resmed S9 autoset. An example of my readings are- mask fit good ,AHI 3.4,Leak 32 (which I believe is much too high.
Not necessary, just mean leak at or below 32 L/m for 95% of the night and not 32 L/m throughout the night

As long as mask fit is good, the machine have no problem with leak
I use chinstrap and goes over the mask, keep the mask in place
I don,t have problems with leaks as long as not disturb my sleep or air escape from the top of the mask into the eyes
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 411 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 198 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,476 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 206 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.