Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP setting at 14 and still waking up gasping!!!!
CPAP setting at 14 and still waking up gasping!!!!
Help! Unsure I have been using my CPAP again for over a month now and after doing another sleep study, they upped my pressure from 10 to 14. However, the last few nights, even with my FFM, I have been waking up gasping for air!!!! I am unsure what is happening and what to do? My mask is not leaking and it is definitely covering my mouth and nose properly. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I am scared to go to sleep now.crygreen Hope you are all having a good day despite sleep problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP setting at 14 and still waking up gasping!!!!
G'day Khon75, welcome to Apnea Board.

I see from your profile that you're using a BiPap machine, but you say you're at a fixed pressure. Can you confirm this is correct, as you wouldn't normally have fixed pressure on that type of machine.

My other question relates to the exact feeling you're having when you gasp for air. If you were OK on 10 cm but having a problem on 14, I suspect the problem is that you're getting too much air and it's more like you're drowning in air. I can relate to this as it happened to me when I first started on the hose. The cause is that the pressure is too high and you are struggling to exhale. On an ordinary machine you can overcome this by setting the "flex" which reduces pressure slightly as you exhale. A Bipap machine will give you a greater degree of flex but I'm not familiar with the Respironics so hopefully somebody else can you you specific help,with that machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your reply. Smile OOps! So sorry, I posted that from my phone, and it used the auto correct, it is actually a CPAP. I have fixed it now. I guess I should have clarified earlier. When I said I am waking up gasping, it is not because there is too much air, it is because I am stopping breathing just like before the machine. It scares me that I am doing it with the machine on as well. I know its definitely not because I'm getting too much air, because my body is telling me I am not getting any air at all. It almost makes me not want to go to sleep lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
What kind of events are you showing? You are using a software program to view data? Is that particular Respironics machine data capable? (Model numbers are better descriptors of the machine than what is on the cover - at least for the Respironics machines. Remove the humidifier chamber and turn the machine over and look for the model number on the bottom. Is it a 450/460 (data capable)? 250/260 (not data capable)? 220 (believe not data capable)? For effective, established therapy, the non-data capable machines can be OK, but when you run into the issues like you are having, the data capable machines pay for themselves.

I also don't think that Rescan will read and present data from a Respironics machine. Get Respironics Encore or Sleepyhead software and look at the data if your machine captures/presents it. That will give you more insight and give folks on the board better idea if they can share their experiences.

You will need that data or you are going to just be guessing as to what is going on and what needs to be changed.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
khon75: I think you should see your doctor. This may be something else.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2015, 09:13 AM)justMongo Wrote: khon75: I think you should see your doctor. This may be something else.

Absent data and analysis tools, yep.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi khon75,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
ResScan doesn't work with Respironics machines, it works with Resmed machines only.
You should talk with your doc about the problems you are having.
Much success to you in getting your problems straightened out and with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so I called the Dr and they called my CPAP place. They prescribed a Pulsometer for this weekend to see if I am still in fact having Apneas and how bad they are. I have to take it back in on Monday. Hopefully this will tell them what they need to know, as my machine does not record info. Thank you guys so much for all of your time and answers, it means the world!!!
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Wishing you well khon75.

Mongo
USAF RVN
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome.

Please take out the water tank from your machine and go here to figure out what machine you have.

We need to figure out which CPAP machine you actually have.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 5 104 2 hours ago
Last Post: Valtor
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 153 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 399 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.