Mask Make & Model: x
Humidifier: x
CPAP Pressure: x
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

setting myself
Dear All,

I snore too much and I disturbe everyone at home, including myself. I breathe perfectly. Using a piece made by silicone in the mouth (sorry, i don't the name), it reduces the snore a lot and I sleep well, but I still bother my wife.

So I was thinking to buy a CPAP. After to read messages in this board I'm thinking to buy an Auto CPAP. An Auto CPAP is plug-in-play, can I turn it on and use? Or Do I have to go to a doctor to set the pressure?

Thanks, Luiz
05-05-2013 05:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
big_dave Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

RE: setting myself
You should ask your wife if you stop breathing or gasp for air while sleeping. If so, or if you have any trouble with daytime sleepiness, you are likely to have obstructive sleep apnea and you need a sleep study. An auto CPAP can be used to determine your pressure at home, but you will still need a diagnostic sleep study. You can start with the pressure at the wide-open factory default setting, but you will want to narrow down the range when you have enough data. You will need a data-capable machine such as a ResMed S9 AutoSet or a Phillips Respironics System One model 550 or 560 to determine your 95% pressure. Start out with the pressure wide open, and then when you have enough data, set the minimum and maximum pressures to 2 or 3 below and above the 95% pressure.

A CPAP machine is effective for treating snoring, but it is a drastic solution and a difficult commitment if you don't have sleep apnea. You can get a prescription from any doctor even without a sleep study, but you probably won't get insurance coverage for it without a diagnosis.
05-05-2013 07:59 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi lsampaio,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What big_dave said.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.

trish6hundred
05-05-2013 08:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
JJJ Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Most recent: Wisp, Pilairo, Mirage Vista
Humidifier: ResMed S9 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 17-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(05-05-2013 05:49 PM)lsampaio Wrote:  I snore too much and I disturb everyone at home, including myself. I breathe perfectly. Using a piece made by silicone in the mouth (sorry, i don't the name), it reduces the snore a lot and I sleep well, but I still bother my wife.
So I was thinking to buy a CPAP. After to read messages in this board I'm thinking to buy an Auto CPAP. An Auto CPAP is plug-in-play, can I turn it on and use? Or Do I have to go to a doctor to set the pressure?

You will need a prescription to buy the machine and the mask, with the exception of Craigslist. There are home sleep studies, but if not reviewed by a doctor, no prescription.

If you get a machine make sure it is a Resmed S9 Autoset or a Philips Respironics System One or System 60. These machines can be used for diagnosis to some extent.
05-05-2013 08:47 PM
lsampaio Offline

New Members

Machine: x
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: x
Humidifier: x
CPAP Pressure: x

Other Comments:

Hi, big_dave,
OK, I see... I understand.
I'm going to see a doctor, anyway.
Your post was very clear.
Thank you, Luiz

(05-05-2013 07:59 PM)big_dave Wrote:  You should ask your wife if you stop breathing or gasp for air while sleeping. If so, or if you have any trouble with daytime sleepiness, you are likely to have obstructive sleep apnea and you need a sleep study. An auto CPAP can be used to determine your pressure at home, but you will still need a diagnostic sleep study. You can start with the pressure at the wide-open factory default setting, but you will want to narrow down the range when you have enough data. You will need a data-capable machine such as a ResMed S9 AutoSet or a Phillips Respironics System One model 550 or 560 to determine your 95% pressure. Start out with the pressure wide open, and then when you have enough data, set the minimum and maximum pressures to 2 or 3 below and above the 95% pressure.

A CPAP machine is effective for treating snoring, but it is a drastic solution and a difficult commitment if you don't have sleep apnea. You can get a prescription from any doctor even without a sleep study, but you probably won't get insurance coverage for it without a diagnosis.
05-05-2013 08:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 177 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 299 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help with mask setting please trader37 3 285 11-03-2016 02:34 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Any setting changes when adding O2 to CPAP Ham Radio 2 186 10-28-2016 11:54 PM
Last Post: Ham Radio
  [CPAP] Setting up this auto a-flex is really intimidating. SierraMadreMe 6 386 10-27-2016 04:25 AM
Last Post: SierraMadreMe
  setting for starting choce Bill Hall 2 218 10-26-2016 08:20 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [How to] Dreamwear mask setting on A10 sonicboom 4 350 10-21-2016 08:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom