Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] setting myself
setting myself
Dear All,

I snore too much and I disturbe everyone at home, including myself. I breathe perfectly. Using a piece made by silicone in the mouth (sorry, i don't the name), it reduces the snore a lot and I sleep well, but I still bother my wife.

So I was thinking to buy a CPAP. After to read messages in this board I'm thinking to buy an Auto CPAP. An Auto CPAP is plug-in-play, can I turn it on and use? Or Do I have to go to a doctor to set the pressure?

Thanks, Luiz
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: setting myself
You should ask your wife if you stop breathing or gasp for air while sleeping. If so, or if you have any trouble with daytime sleepiness, you are likely to have obstructive sleep apnea and you need a sleep study. An auto CPAP can be used to determine your pressure at home, but you will still need a diagnostic sleep study. You can start with the pressure at the wide-open factory default setting, but you will want to narrow down the range when you have enough data. You will need a data-capable machine such as a ResMed S9 AutoSet or a Phillips Respironics System One model 550 or 560 to determine your 95% pressure. Start out with the pressure wide open, and then when you have enough data, set the minimum and maximum pressures to 2 or 3 below and above the 95% pressure.

A CPAP machine is effective for treating snoring, but it is a drastic solution and a difficult commitment if you don't have sleep apnea. You can get a prescription from any doctor even without a sleep study, but you probably won't get insurance coverage for it without a diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lsampaio,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What big_dave said.
Hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2013, 05:49 PM)lsampaio Wrote: I snore too much and I disturb everyone at home, including myself. I breathe perfectly. Using a piece made by silicone in the mouth (sorry, i don't the name), it reduces the snore a lot and I sleep well, but I still bother my wife.
So I was thinking to buy a CPAP. After to read messages in this board I'm thinking to buy an Auto CPAP. An Auto CPAP is plug-in-play, can I turn it on and use? Or Do I have to go to a doctor to set the pressure?

You will need a prescription to buy the machine and the mask, with the exception of Craigslist. There are home sleep studies, but if not reviewed by a doctor, no prescription.

If you get a machine make sure it is a Resmed S9 Autoset or a Philips Respironics System One or System 60. These machines can be used for diagnosis to some extent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, big_dave,
OK, I see... I understand.
I'm going to see a doctor, anyway.
Your post was very clear.
Thank you, Luiz

(05-05-2013, 07:59 PM)big_dave Wrote: You should ask your wife if you stop breathing or gasp for air while sleeping. If so, or if you have any trouble with daytime sleepiness, you are likely to have obstructive sleep apnea and you need a sleep study. An auto CPAP can be used to determine your pressure at home, but you will still need a diagnostic sleep study. You can start with the pressure at the wide-open factory default setting, but you will want to narrow down the range when you have enough data. You will need a data-capable machine such as a ResMed S9 AutoSet or a Phillips Respironics System One model 550 or 560 to determine your 95% pressure. Start out with the pressure wide open, and then when you have enough data, set the minimum and maximum pressures to 2 or 3 below and above the 95% pressure.

A CPAP machine is effective for treating snoring, but it is a drastic solution and a difficult commitment if you don't have sleep apnea. You can get a prescription from any doctor even without a sleep study, but you probably won't get insurance coverage for it without a diagnosis.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 154 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 426 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  [CPAP] Need help with setting minimum pressure for my Father. Jamie Connor 2 384 01-07-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Jamie Connor
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,003 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 514 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.