Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP setting (titration study)
Greetings!

I had a sleep study last month and was told that I have severe apnea. During that study, I was not able to tolerate a mask (in addition to all of the wires).

I went in for a second study to determine what the CPAP setting would be. I again was not able to tolerate the mask combined with the limitations of being hooked up to all of the wires. I do suffer from claustrophobia. They have suggested that I utilize a sleeping pill, which I feel strongly against.

I am wondering if there are any other options? I am willing to try the CPAP, but do NOT want to go through with another study.

Any alternatives that might work for me?

Thank you!
Yes. You can trial an auto-titrating CPAP, called an APAP for a month and use it at home. It is common practice. They then use the data from that to determine your pressure range or single treatment pressure.
PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Hi rrwa9800,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred

(03-30-2016, 04:53 PM)rrwa9800 Wrote: I went in for a second study to determine what the CPAP setting would be. I again was not able to tolerate the mask combined with the limitations of being hooked up to all of the wires. I do suffer from claustrophobia. They have suggested that I utilize a sleeping pill, which I feel strongly against.

I am wondering if there are any other options? I am willing to try the CPAP, but do NOT want to go through with another study.

Any alternatives that might work for me?

Thank you!
An APAP could do the titration in your own home in your own bed. But you still have to deal with the issue of the claustrophobia and the issue of tolerating the mask.

If you find that you can't tolerate the mask at home---as in you just can't seem to fall asleep with it due to the claustrophobia---then the best non-drug approach is going to be some kind of cognitive behavior therapy aimed at getting you through learning how to sleep with the mask on your nose.

Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just diagnosed but headed back for 2nd study. Advice? Piggles 56 1,501 3 hours ago
Last Post: tuckman
  How to ulock Ramp setting on dreamstation wdriver 3 210 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
Last Post: wdriver
  What's the maximum pressure setting that doesn't disturb your sleep? Ihaveapnea 12 543 01-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  Got my home study results....finally jds2001 6 332 01-11-2017, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 14 711 01-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Last Post: jds2001
  Sleep study last night Momajo79 12 486 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  What does the "Pressure Relief" setting? Ihaveapnea 7 316 01-07-2017, 05:12 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr