Mask Make & Model: none
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: none
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
CPAP setting (titration study)
Greetings!

I had a sleep study last month and was told that I have severe apnea. During that study, I was not able to tolerate a mask (in addition to all of the wires).

I went in for a second study to determine what the CPAP setting would be. I again was not able to tolerate the mask combined with the limitations of being hooked up to all of the wires. I do suffer from claustrophobia. They have suggested that I utilize a sleeping pill, which I feel strongly against.

I am wondering if there are any other options? I am willing to try the CPAP, but do NOT want to go through with another study.

Any alternatives that might work for me?

Thank you!
03-30-2016 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: CPAP setting (titration study)
Yes. You can trial an auto-titrating CPAP, called an APAP for a month and use it at home. It is common practice. They then use the data from that to determine your pressure range or single treatment pressure.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-30-2016 07:06 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi rrwa9800,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.

trish6hundred
03-30-2016 09:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
robysue Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: PR Dreamstation BiPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: PR Dreamstation humidfier
CPAP Pressure: min EPAP = 4; max IPAP = 9;
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic EncorePro

Other Comments: Papping since September 2010

(03-30-2016 04:53 PM)rrwa9800 Wrote:  I went in for a second study to determine what the CPAP setting would be. I again was not able to tolerate the mask combined with the limitations of being hooked up to all of the wires. I do suffer from claustrophobia. They have suggested that I utilize a sleeping pill, which I feel strongly against.

I am wondering if there are any other options? I am willing to try the CPAP, but do NOT want to go through with another study.

Any alternatives that might work for me?

Thank you!
An APAP could do the titration in your own home in your own bed. But you still have to deal with the issue of the claustrophobia and the issue of tolerating the mask.

If you find that you can't tolerate the mask at home---as in you just can't seem to fall asleep with it due to the claustrophobia---then the best non-drug approach is going to be some kind of cognitive behavior therapy aimed at getting you through learning how to sleep with the mask on your nose.

Questions about SleepyHead?
See my Guide to SleepyHead
03-30-2016 10:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Waiting for sleep study results...got Pulse Ox in the meanwhile jds2001 10 285 12-01-2016 03:13 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  sending sleep study to another doctor's office sleepytimegal 3 222 11-30-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Accuracy of Resmed AS10 vs Sleep Study Type IMSleeplessInSeattle 5 432 11-28-2016 12:11 AM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Sleep Study: Nasal vs. Full Mask harmon k 2 306 11-20-2016 06:38 PM
Last Post: harmon k
  When is it time to get another sleep study done. duece12345 7 347 11-19-2016 11:51 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] what setting for mask airsense 10 abrun7 1 176 11-17-2016 06:57 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  ResMed Airsense 10 Setting Date Problem Reuven Gruber 6 294 11-16-2016 04:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider