Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP setting (titration study)
CPAP setting (titration study)
Greetings!

I had a sleep study last month and was told that I have severe apnea. During that study, I was not able to tolerate a mask (in addition to all of the wires).

I went in for a second study to determine what the CPAP setting would be. I again was not able to tolerate the mask combined with the limitations of being hooked up to all of the wires. I do suffer from claustrophobia. They have suggested that I utilize a sleeping pill, which I feel strongly against.

I am wondering if there are any other options? I am willing to try the CPAP, but do NOT want to go through with another study.

Any alternatives that might work for me?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP setting (titration study)
Yes. You can trial an auto-titrating CPAP, called an APAP for a month and use it at home. It is common practice. They then use the data from that to determine your pressure range or single treatment pressure.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rrwa9800,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 04:53 PM)rrwa9800 Wrote: I went in for a second study to determine what the CPAP setting would be. I again was not able to tolerate the mask combined with the limitations of being hooked up to all of the wires. I do suffer from claustrophobia. They have suggested that I utilize a sleeping pill, which I feel strongly against.

I am wondering if there are any other options? I am willing to try the CPAP, but do NOT want to go through with another study.

Any alternatives that might work for me?

Thank you!
An APAP could do the titration in your own home in your own bed. But you still have to deal with the issue of the claustrophobia and the issue of tolerating the mask.

If you find that you can't tolerate the mask at home---as in you just can't seem to fall asleep with it due to the claustrophobia---then the best non-drug approach is going to be some kind of cognitive behavior therapy aimed at getting you through learning how to sleep with the mask on your nose.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.