Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP settings: nasal mask, nasal pillows, full face
CPAP settings: nasal mask, nasal pillows, full face
Sort of a technical question. Using a Resmed Airsense 10, but the question could apply to any cpap machine.

The user settings require you to set your mask type: nasal, nasal pillows, full face.

My question is: in terms of the operation of the cpap machine itself, what do these settings actually do?  

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: CPAP settings: nasal mask, nasal pillows, full face
The difference in those mask types are intentional leaks and volume. That said I do not know specifically what the algorithms change.
The physics says the bigger the volume the slower the response time to recover or change to a new pressure simply because of the volume change.

Typically the larger masks have the higher intentional leak rate. A change increase in leak rate the blower must respond and because of needing to move more air the response will be slower.

The vendor could compensate for either of these algorithmically. Do they? I don't know.
Fred Bonjour - Project Manager and Lead Tester for OSCAR - Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter 
OSCAR

Download OSCAR
New to Apnea? Helpful tips to ensure success
Soft Cervical Collar
Mask Primer
Dealing with a DME
Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP settings: nasal mask, nasal pillows, full face
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help on cpap settings Beaumont1124 69 1,697 Yesterday, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Beaumont1124
  Resmed Face Mask problem. joe7323 8 204 10-17-2020, 08:51 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Settings I Should Tweak? Antistan 5 157 10-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Taking off CPAP mask or hose at night! louman1961 86 2,527 10-14-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  nasal vs full face mask cpapnovice 66 1,409 10-12-2020, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New VAuto, need help with settings nininho 22 949 10-04-2020, 07:35 AM
Last Post: nininho
  [CPAP] New to APNEA, struggling to get full nights sleeps, appreciate review and advice. new2paphopeful 5 204 09-26-2020, 06:33 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.