Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP - side benefits with other heath issues?
CPAP - side benefits with other heath issues?
Did your use of CPAP bring unexpected side benefits with regard to other heath issues?

I am asking, as spouse, now three months under CPAP, has seen her significantly elevated platelets count decrease and reach normal range.

NOTE: Her platelet count was not being looked at by her previous PCP, so, check if it is accounted for during your regular wellness visits!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP - side benefits with other heath issues?
Generally, the body's responses to stress are deleterious if prolonged. The problem is serum corticosteroids such as epinephrine (adrenalin). When we live under stress chronically, and the body beset by apnea does precisely that, we develop all sorts of problems, but only on a probability...not a certainty...because we all vary. One serious likelihood is the suppression of iinterleukin II, an important component of the boy's immune response.

I don't know for certain, but some people report that they greatly reduce the need to rise during the night to void when their therapy is successful and has run for some time.  This increases the likelihood that one will reach REM sleep patterns any one night...and that's never a bad thing.

These are but two examples of potential improvements that can be at least partially attributed to successful PAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
most anything negatively affected by apnea may be improved by relief from apnea. comorbidities fill a lengthy list, more than I know or could list here but every website re apnea will tell you all the things that apnea worsens. IDK about your specific concern but wonder if increased O2 and decreased CO2 from pap therapy is relevant.
Post Reply Post Reply
My blood pressure decreased significantly.
My depression, while still bad, responds to medication better.
Morning headaches decreased (I still get them occasionally but it is due to neck position.

I'm sure there's more but yeah, lots of things are connected to untreated sleep apnea. When the treatment begins and works, those other systems carry less of a burden, too.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Others may wish to add to this list, but along with improvement in more severe conditions, there's also the little stuff:
  • noticeable decrease in nasal allergy symptoms and episodes Blowing-nose
  • less post nasal drip eeew
  • fewer colds per annum Cold 
  • nocturia Dancing  much less frequent
  • let's not forget snoring, which can affect more than patient zero Shhh
  • increased chance of living to a ripe old age oldman
  • a cure for hangovers?   Huh Mornincoffee Big Grinnie
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2018, 06:13 PM)Sheepish Wrote: Others may wish to add to this list, but along with improvement in more severe conditions, there's also the little stuff:
  • noticeable decrease in nasal allergy symptoms and episodes Blowing-nose
  • less post nasal drip eeew
  • fewer colds per annum Cold 
  • nocturia Dancing  much less frequent
  • let's not forget snoring, which can affect more than patient zero Shhh
  • increased chance of living to a ripe old age oldman
  • a cure for hangovers?   Huh Mornincoffee Big Grinnie

Since commencing CPAP therapy in March I have had the flue 4 times and 1 bad cold so my study of one contradicts that somewhat, normally in a year I might or might not catch a cold or get the flu once but certainly never 5 times and there is still more of the year to go!

Another disappointing response to CPAP is weight gain where I have put a considerable amount of weight since therapy commencement with up to 6 KG at the peak.

Prior to CPAP I was diagnosed with severe apnea with about 50 events per hour and the majority of any hour was spent not breathing however now that I am properly treated and my AHI is usually between 0.5 to 1.5  I still do not feel any less tired or have any more energy though to be fair my throat feels a lot more comfortable now than then.
Post Reply Post Reply
GHCE, sorry if I'm stating the painfully obvious, but are you cleaning your machine regularly and thoroughly?

There aren't any working sinks in my run down home (the kitchen sink works, but it's a PITA to turn on and off with a wrench each time). So, I'm fairly lazy when it comes to cleaning my stuff. I take it into the shower about once every other week and clean everything with Dawn dish soap.
I'm finicky about my hands feeling dirty. I put babywipes into a ziplock then pour rubbing alcohol over them (just enough to see at the bottom of the bag). I would use a wipe on my nasal mask every other night (though take care, as the alcohol- in theory- could break down the plastic (?) in the mask).
Such had been my habits for some 8 months.

The household has been sick with an abundance of various flues, bronchitis, and illnesses and I've been spared all but one time (they smoke though, while I vape- which may have played some role). My equipment shows no wear and has held up marvelously.

Whatever the cause, I do hope you feel better soon!! Illness and apnea both. 50 events?! I'd be scared to closed my eyes.

That's an interesting discovery about the weight gain. I've gained a bit of weight as well (10 pounds or so). I'm sedentary and live on junk food, though, so I don't know how much I can blame my CPAP for that one Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2018, 04:44 PM)Zhaylin Wrote: GHCE, sorry if I'm stating the painfully obvious, but are you cleaning your machine regularly and thoroughly?

There aren't any working sinks in my run down home (the kitchen sink works, but it's a PITA to turn on and off with a wrench each time).  So, I'm fairly lazy when it comes to cleaning my stuff.  I take it into the shower about once every other week and clean everything with Dawn dish soap.  
I'm finicky about my hands feeling dirty.  I put babywipes into a ziplock then pour rubbing alcohol over them (just enough to see at the bottom of the bag).  I would use a wipe on my nasal mask every other night (though take care, as the alcohol- in theory- could break down the plastic (?) in the mask).
Such had been my habits for some 8 months.

The household has been sick with an abundance of various flues, bronchitis, and illnesses and I've been spared all but one time (they smoke though, while I vape- which may have played some role).  My equipment shows no wear and has held up marvelously.

Whatever the cause, I do hope you feel better soon!!  Illness and apnea both.  50 events?!  I'd be scared to closed my eyes.

That's an interesting discovery about the weight gain.  I've gained a bit of weight as well (10 pounds or so).  I'm sedentary and live on junk food, though, so I don't know how much I can blame my CPAP for that one Big Grin

I really dont clean it very often at all but cold and flue's are viral not bacterial. 

Other than changing the water every day I dont do a lot except every couple of months clean the hose and nasal pillows.

Yes with 50 events per hour I dare not lay down with out putting the machine on! and if I dont put it on just laying down seems to effect me.
Post Reply Post Reply
My heart issue has not bothered me much at all since going the route of CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
It definitely makes you sexier to your bed mate.

(Well, you can keep telling yourself that anyway....)
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 187 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.