Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] side effects
side effects
Have been using nasal mask for about 3 months. I have noticed some dizziness when turning in bed or getting up. Also a change in bowel and bladder habits. Has the cpap anything to do with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: side effects
I don't know if CPAP caused the dizzyness on turning, but I had a bout of it. It's called "Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo" and there is a cure called "Epley Maneuver" which I never ended up doing because soon after I realized what was causing it, it resolved on it's own. YMMV

Bladder habits - absolutely a known correlation. Most of us find that our nocturia completely subsides with cpap use.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Me too with the vertigo and also the pee manufacturing. I first discovered the vertigo problem one morning when I jumped out of bed and immediately crashed into the chest of drawers. It went away in a couple of weeks but I still sit on the edge of the bed for a few seconds before getting on my feet. Funny thing, when I had that temporary vertigo, I could wait it out for a few seconds and all was well for the rest of the day. Then when I would first lie down at night, the room would appear to jump and spin around for a few seconds and then all was OK again. I also noticed it during the day if I lowered my head below waist level to do something. BP was normal on all of those days.

It hasn't happened since but I'll be all set to attack with the Epley Maneuver if it does since I also found it too late. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I had some sinus issues when I first started out. I can see where that could mess up your ears/balance sometimes.

Sleep-well
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MsFigg,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always had issues with my ears since I have been on the machine but it is a small price to pay except when I had the last bout that was not properly diagnosed for about 7 months and then my ear became swollen almost shut, was excruciatingly painful, etc. and so they did a brain MRI and found that there was fluid in the ear canal and it had become infected at the mastoid bone and they tried to make me go to the hospital. Pain meds didn't help so I didn't take them but the antibiotic (which has a million side affects and I think I had all of them and a few extra lol) seemed to help. My ears have never been like they were before I began treatment and I guess they won't be normal again. Unless I have what happened recently with the infection at the mastoid bone, I will deal with it as a small price to pay. I have to admit, I don't scare easily when it comes to a lot of things but that one scared me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder how many of the people with ear problems have Eustachian tubes that run level from ear to nose like I do, rather than angled downward like a normal adult face.....

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2015, 11:22 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I wonder how many of the people with ear problems have Eustachian tubes that run level from ear to nose like I do, rather than angled downward like a normal adult face.....

How did you find out that your eustachian tubes weren't angled downward like most are?

http:// doctorstevenpark.com/the-biggest-ear-problems-for-sleep-apnea-sufferers

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2015, 05:55 AM)me50 Wrote: How did you find out that your eustachian tubes weren't angled downward like most are?

http:// doctorstevenpark.com/the-biggest-ear-problems-for-sleep-apnea-sufferers

There is an angle measurement that can be done from ear canal to nostril. I had constant ear infections as a child, and still as a teen. have had many still as an adult, and it has come up several times.

Post Reply Post Reply
Been using a CPAP machine for a month and a half... It went well. But lately I am getting a big case of AEROPHAGIA. I wake up and my belly feels overinflated like a basketball full of air. It is actually hard to bend down because of this air.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 400 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 437 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 256 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 395 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 628 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.