Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] skot's cpap journey
RE: skot's cpap journey
(05-20-2021, 04:49 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have recently experienced early morning arousals like your 3:30 awakening. I now keep two 5mg melatonin tablets at bedside and find I can finally quiet my mind and sleep through to 7:00 or so and awaken without drowsiness. You might want to give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the UK, melatonin is prescription only but it seems (surprisingly!) easy to get it online.
I'll give the settings changes and the new mask a try and might look for some if these changes don't work.

Appreciate the advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
We can buy Melatonin over the counter and I get mine at Costco in bottles of 250 for a cheap price.  I used it again last night when awoke at 4:00 and slept to about 7:20. In the U.S. it is considered non-prescription dietary supplement, and is commonly used for :
  •    help decrease jet lag
  •    adjust sleep cycles in the blind (non 24-Hour Sleep Wake Disorder, or Non-24)
  •    treat shift-work sleep disorders in people with alternating work schedules
  •    for general insomnias
My hope in using it is to reset my biological or diurnal clock to avoid the habit of awakening at a time that interrupts what I need for a full, refreshing night of sleep.  So far, it is working. My awakenings only began recently, so this is not a problem I have experienced over a long period of my life.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2021, 08:13 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: We can buy Melatonin over the counter and I get mine at Costco in bottles of 250 for a cheap price.  I used it again last night when awoke at 4:00 and slept to about 7:20. In the U.S. it is considered non-prescription dietary supplement, and is commonly used for :
  •    help decrease jet lag
  •    adjust sleep cycles in the blind (non 24-Hour Sleep Wake Disorder, or Non-24)
  •    treat shift-work sleep disorders in people with alternating work schedules
  •    for general insomnias
My hope in using it is to reset my biological or diurnal clock to avoid the habit of awakening at a time that interrupts what I need for a full, refreshing night of sleep.  So far, it is working. My awakenings only began recently, so this is not a problem I have experienced over a long period of my life.

Yeah - I've bought it in large(ish) quantities from Target in the U.S. and use it to combat jetlag. Or at least I used to, when we were allowed to fly Smile

---

No update on stats today as I had a weird claustrophobic panic thing overnight around 2am and had to take the mask off. Normal service will hopefully resume tonight.
Also - got my shiny new F30i facemask delivered today so look forward to trying that!
Post Reply Post Reply
You're going to love it. All of a sudden masks are gone here. Stores, restaurants and public places are not policing masks anymore. Many people just can't let go and continue to wear them, but not me. Walmart, Costco, Lowes, and several bars and restaurants are now having to see my uncensored face.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Martin's/Giant grocery saw me no mask last Eve. I've not worn a mask at the local Wally World for 9 or so months. Several times at Wally they asked me about masks some months ago... Medical exception. OK have a nice day sir.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apologies that I haven't got back to everyone following the much appreciated advice, but I've had a pretty miserable few days, sleepwise.

I tried the new F30i mask on Friday night and that was a disaster - I won't even bother posting the data from that. The mask is going back to resmed.

Last night's data is available below, and I'm getting close to chucking it in after only a week, I'm afraid. I've used these tongue retainers for the last two and a half years and my sleep is now much worse using the APAP machine.
Last night I "slept" for 12 hours but when I got up I couldn't think straight so went back to bed for an hour with the tongue retainer and felt so much better getting an hour of actual rest.

The impression I have is that I'm only sleeping for an hour or so at a time and am fully waking up in between times. Not sure whether the data reflects that feeling, but that's how it's feeling.

I'm also feeling pretty let down by the sleep clinic (local NHS hospital) as they shipped the machine to me and haven't been in touch at all. When I ring the number it just rings out.
Totally understandable, of course, there are one or two other health situations going on globally right now! But that makes you folks my only hope so any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers
  Scott

Edit: I see the EPR level is off the screenshot, so just to confirm that it's set to 3, as per advice here

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your EPR is set to Ramp Only, it might as well be off . Set it to full time
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2021, 06:12 AM)Gideon Wrote: Your EPR is set to Ramp Only, it might as well be off .  Set it to full time

Done!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2021, 06:03 AM)ab skotl Wrote: Last night's data is available below, and I'm getting close to chucking it in after only a week, I'm afraid.

Please don't give up on it. It takes time to get used to the mask and the hose and the blowing air. Your health providers should be supporting you. It takes a few tries to get a mask that works for you.

Eventually you will start to feel better. It just takes time. Your patience will be rewarded with a better quality of life and a reduced chance of stroke or cardiovascular disease.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the kind words, Sleepster. I'll no doubt continue if only because the wife is now sleeping better with no snoring from my side, so that's a 50% success!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 932 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,277 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,206 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,401 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 803 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.