Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] still very tired and don't know what to do
RE: still very tired and don't know what to do
(10-04-2016, 08:31 PM)Sleepster Wrote: In my opinion, there's a very good chance it's the leaks. I realize the leak rate is below the threshold of unacceptable, but when I see a leak rate rate bouncing up and down like that, I take it as a sign of mouth-leaking. And that can, in my experience, ruin a good night's sleep.

A full face mask is at least worth a try. Often it's the simple things that work best.

Last night I tried a FFM but still had leaks unfortunately.
I must have a funny shaped face Wink
[Image: KpLTFkW.png]

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster, how do you like the Simpus? I just ordered one, because I'm not overly thrilled w/ the Resmed F10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the Simplus. At first I had the large and it worked ok, but the medium fits me better. You don't want the mask slipping over the bottom of your chin. If it does, you need to go down a size. There are two mask sizes and three cushion sizes. The larger mask will hold either the medium or large cushion. The small mask holds only the small cushion. My insurance covers a new cushion once a month. It's easy to remove the cushion for daily washing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My FFM is a ResMed Quatro

I find it really hard to get it adjust right without it being very tight.
As soon as I let it float it just bleeds air either around my lower cheeks/chin or near the eyes

I've only used it a little when I first started CPAP back in 2012 and then I switched to Pillows.
Might be time to try some newer ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
adjusting the straps is 1/8" at a time, they seem to be very sensitive. Loving Amara View, it does have it's own challenges but for me worth it
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2016, 07:35 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I love the Simplus. At first I had the large and it worked ok, but the medium fits me better. You don't want the mask slipping over the bottom of your chin. If it does, you need to go down a size. There are two mask sizes and three cushion sizes. The larger mask will hold either the medium or large cushion. The small mask holds only the small cushion. My insurance covers a new cushion once a month. It's easy to remove the cushion for daily washing.

My Simplus came in today. I'm a tiny person [5 feet 100 lbs], so I assume I'm a small in everything, but the fitting sheet says Medium, so that's what I got. I'm excited to try it tonight. It feels pretty good just trying it out, though the medium to large headgear seems gigantic, and I have to pull the Velcro ridiculously far to get it to fit. If I like the mask, I guess I'll order the small headgear. I love F & P masks, and the Eson nasal would have been great, if it weren't for all the mouth leaking, which I couldn't fix w/ a strap.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2016, 05:15 PM)Violetskyye Wrote: .................I'm a tiny person [5 feet 100 lbs], .............
Aha! This seemingly obscure bit of information actually explains some SleepyHead data you posted in another thread. The tidal volume was unusually low, and the respiration rate was on the low end of normal, resulting in a noticeably low minute ventilation. I remember thinking this person either has impeded pulmonary function, or else a quite diminutive lung volume. Glad to see it's just the latter. Smile

-Ron

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2016, 01:07 PM)rkl122 Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 05:15 PM)Violetskyye Wrote: .................I'm a tiny person [5 feet 100 lbs], .............
Aha! This seemingly obscure bit of information actually explains some SleepyHead data you posted in another thread. The tidal volume was unusually low, and the respiration rate was on the low end of normal, resulting in a noticeably low minute ventilation. I remember thinking this person either has impeded pulmonary function, or else a quite diminutive lung volume. Glad to see it's just the latter. Smile

-Ron

Hmm I hope it's just cause I'm small. Now you've got me worried. I've got a little bit of scarring in my lungs, docs don't know why. But I can do a 30 minute Zumba class so it's probably not that bad.

I tried my new Simplus last night and I'm not jumping up and down over it. Pretty comfy but when I turned over, air blew in my eyes, and I have enough dry eye already. Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I'm worried - I couldn't do 30 mins zumba if my life depended on it.... kidding! (About the worry. I'm 6'2", almost twice your weight, and with minute ventilation almost twice yours. Probably much older also Smile )

I meant my post to be reassuring. In fact, after more reading, other things being equal, lowering of minute ventilation could be a sign of improved physical shape, since it would indicate that less oxygen is needed for normal function. In general, normal ventilation in a healthy individual is a function of height, weight, gender, metabolism rate, etc.

Of course, nothing said here is medical advice. You may wish to mention your tidal volume and respiration rate - which together determine the minute ventilation - to the sleepdoc. If you do, be aware that SleepyHead permits a three way toggle between the median, average, and weighted average of those (and other) values. In the preferences dialog, under the CPAP tab, use the "Middle Calculations" control in the lower right frame. Changing the parameter there does not alter the underlying data, and you can toggle back and forth. Unfortunately, the statistics table doesn't average those particular measures, so you may want to gather the data for a few nights and average them yourself.

-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went to the sleep tech today to try on a FFM - tried on the simplus.
The tech first said my Leaks where within the range of the resmed s9 so not a problem? (under 24l/m average)
Also he said that I've a big nose and small chin so will never really get a FFM to fit well. He said I'd probably be getting 30l/m with a ffm.

I'm trying the full nasal mask instead of pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 0 22 2 hours ago
Last Post: liebano
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 1 61 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 196 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 174 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,975 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 178 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 135 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.