Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New user, do I actually need CPAP?
New user, do I actually need CPAP?
I am a new user and trying to sort out if I need CPAP or what. Here is what I have:

Mouth Breather for life, due to nose functional issues. 

About 18 months ago, I both had a new kid and moved into a new house. Was tired all the time no matter how much I slept. Blamed it on the kid, but as the kid grew I realized it wasn't that. At the same time my allergies were getting worse and worse.

So about 2 months ago went and did all the tests, I did a home sleep study, did a full allergy study.
Allergy study told me I was super allergic to dust mites. Makes sense with the new house timing, this place has like 5000 square feet of 20 year old nasty carpet.
Home sleep study gave me an AHI 15, and I was prescribed CPAP with a pressure of 6-16.

During the 2 months I was waiting for my insurance and the CPAP store to get their crap together, I tore all of the carpet out of my house. Found some real sweet hardwood under, but that is a story for another day. Also adjusted my allergy medicine to get my sniffles under control.

Out of curiosity, I got a little finger mount O2 sensor. The first night I ran it, found something like 10 events where my O2 dropped in the 85-90 range.  Did some research about how bad back sleeping is and I made myself sleep on my side. Since doing that, my O2 levels are "fine". Average of 98%, 1 or 2 dips down to 95% and nothing worse.

Now my CPAP machine finally arrived. Using OSCAR to look at my stuff. I was only able to tolerate it for the first 2 hours of sleep last night, but it record 8 CA events, and 0 of anything else. From what I read, this might be CPAP causing CSA in me.  I literally wake up feeling like I am drowning, and have to tell my brain BREATH STUPID BREATH, and then I pick up breathing again.  I had 0 other events.

is it possible that my fixing my allergies and sleeping on my side fixed my problems? And my only problem now is the CPAP itself is causing CA events? Or is this a case where I need to play around with machine settings and get it better tuned for me?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user, do I actually need CPAP?
Hi SleepingFish! - Welcome
Without seeing an OSCAR Daily screenshot, it is next to impossible to advise you. To take a screenshot while in OSCAR, please use the F12 key, or the Fn+F12 for a Mac.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepingFish, Welcome to Apnea Board!

It would help if you posted a screenshot of your OSCAR Daily screen. There is a lot of info there that will help people answer your questions.

Please use the built in screenshot function of OSCAR. For Windows F12, for Mac fn + F12, or from the OSCAR menubar View > Take screenshot.

There are links in my signature for organizing your charts for posting, and how to attach them into a forum post.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about that!

Screenshots attached

Post Reply Post Reply
It also looks like my mode is set to APAP.. I wonder if that's even right.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepingFish ,

Sorry, I should have been more specific....

The screenshot should show the "Details" tab in the left pane. With your AHI, statistics, and settings.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Details added

Post Reply Post Reply
Just as a reference, this is a sample screenshot using F12 (fn + F12 on my Mac) with the details tab in the left pane:

Shows everything in one shot.
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I just gave up for now. Stopping breathing is super sucky and scary.

Seeing what Dr will have me do next.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,370 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 154 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,735 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,233 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,109 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,693 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 359 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.