Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP, tent camping & extension cords?
CPAP, tent camping & extension cords?
Hi,

I apologize if this is a common topic.  I couldn't find a post that addressed exactly what I was looking for, and I'd rather ask someone that is knowledgeable about electricity and CPAPS than make some educated guesses.  Anyway, I'm going tent camping with my family a few times this summer.  I currently use an Airsense 10 and couldn't imagine sleeping a night without it.  The sites that I'm staying at have 30 amp 110 volt service.  My question is, can I safely just run an extension cord from the electrical hookup to my tent and cpap?  If so, it's typically quite humid and rainy where I live during summers, do I need anything special in order to prevent any unsavory consequences such as a shock, fire or destroyed CPAP?  

Thanks everyone,

Chris
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP, tent camping & extension cords?
You will want to find out if there are 15 amp plugs available or if they are only 30 amp. If only 30 amp you will need an adapter plug.

Should be no problem with running an extension cord to your tent. Practice general electrical safety and make sure the plugs are kept out of any potential water (use a single length cord and have plug elevated not resting on ground that might get wet in rain).
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2021, 11:06 PM)Geer1 Wrote: You will want to find out if there are 15 amp plugs available or if they are only 30 amp. If only 30 amp you will need an adapter plug.

If you have a 30 amp outlet it just means it can handle up to 30 amps. It should be fine for running a CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the outlet accepts your standard plug you are set, you are good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 08:53 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If you have a 30 amp outlet it just means it can handle up to 30 amps. It should be fine for running a CPAP machine.

A 30 amp outlet has a different style of plug that is commonly used for RV's. Usually there are 15 amp outlets provided as well but not always. Plugs are designed with different form factors so that you cannot accidentally plug a 50 amp RV into a 30 amp plug, 30 amp RV into a 15 amp plug etc.

You are thinking 30 amp breaker/circuit which is what the plug would be connected to (if it has its own breaker/circuit). Plugging a lower amp draw item into a higher amp circuit is fine as it will only draw the amount of power it requires. That is why it is ok to connect CPAP machine to a 30 amp outlet using an adapter (usually in the form of a pigtail).
Post Reply Post Reply
All these answers were extremely helpful, thanks! I'll call the individual campgrounds and check to see if my sites will have a 15 amp connection or whether I'll need an adapter.
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally you can get a connector cable converter that plugs into the socket outside with a long cable then run this inside your tent once inside it has standard socket on it this is kind of what I had in mind but with this example you would need a 30amp extension cable to bring the power into your tent I am sure your local rv/camping supplier will have something

Post Reply Post Reply
Ground-fault interrupter: You need a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) for the extension cord, if it is not provided by the electric outlet. GFI provides safety in wet, outdoor environments, and detect any "leakage" of current and quickly interrupt the power. A GFI is resettable. A simple search on "GFCI Outdoor plugs and extension cords" will return many results from $16 to $30. Be sure your GFCI is outdoor rated and you can safely use a power source in wet conditions.

If you want to go with DC power, your CPAP runs on 24 volt DC power and you will need a battery and an adapter to up convert 12 volt to 24 volt power. The OEM part is #37297 Air10 DC/DC Converter. Any 12-volt battery will work, but using a deep cycle or high capacity li-ion will work depending on your weight tolerance. By the time you buy the converter, battery and charger it can be expensive. On Amazon the BiXPower Super High Capacity (223 Wh) Rechargeable Battery Compatible with ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP Machine CP220-S10 sells for $299 and includes everything you need. You will need to turn off the humidifier and heated tube if you use a battery like this, but should have plenty of power for several nights use, and can recharge during the day.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you search Amazon for, kfd 3 pin dc dc ipx1 Resmed S9 Series, there is a 90w unit for $32 USD.   The 90w unit can handle the H5i humidifier along with the base S9.  The KFD brand has a 3-year warranty.  I've been using their power supplies for several years without any problems.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2021, 10:55 AM)Geer1 Wrote: A 30 amp outlet has a different style of plug that is commonly used for RV's.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those. 30 amps is a large amount of current for a household 120 volt outlet. Possibly unheard of.

Quote:Usually there are 15 amp outlets provided as well but not always.

Yes, and if someone at the camp site has a RV you could plug your CPAP machine into one of the RV outlets.

(04-29-2021, 12:46 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Generally you can get a connector cable converter that plugs into the socket outside with a long cable then run this inside your tent once inside it has standard socket on it this is kind of what I had in mind but with this example you would need a 30amp extension cable to bring the power into your tent I am sure your local rv/camping supplier will have something.

Why would you need a 30-amp extension cord? The CPAP machine won't draw anywhere near that much current. A good heavy duty extension cord would be a good idea, though, especially if it's a long run.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 626 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,630 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  [Equipment] CPAP and Camping Dogberto 2 571 07-16-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dogberto
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,628 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Dry Camping with CPAP ApneaticBill 2 787 06-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Last Post: ApneaticBill
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Small camping CPAP + battery system recommendations Greg_R 0 1,008 10-18-2021, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Greg_R

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.