Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP therapy causing memory loss?
CPAP therapy causing memory loss?
Hello,
I started my cpap around Janurary and I've noticed that my memory is slowly worsening since them. Can CPAP therpay cause memory problems? I thought sleep apena causes memory problems and cpap therpay should help reduce that. Anyone have an explanation as to why my memory would be getting worse?
Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP therapy causing memory loss?
Have you started any medications since then?  Do you have heart problems?  Are you of the age where memory starts slipping away?  I've always been a little forgetful, but now at 80 years old I realize I have slipped a lot, starting with surgery on my back a few years ago.  I did some research and found out memory can be affected by anesthetic.  It is not really short term memory, but was called instant or immediate memory.  It primarily changed my perception of time and I never know what day it is. Names have become more of a problem than previously.  Have you talked to your doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah man since I was about 11-12 which is roughly when I think this problem started my memory has been declining. Used to have an incredibly powerful memory, I knew the spelling of every word I ever came across. Now I'm trash at it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry, but what was the question again?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any dietary or nutritional changes lately?

Or... any dietary or nutritional improvements that could be made to potentially improve your memory and/or other health ailments?

Healthful nutrient-rich food is a powerful medicine for the body. Likewise, poor food choices can make for cumulative negative ailments to the body.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry my question was that, can cpap therapy cause memory problems? I thought cpap therpay was supposed to help maintain your memory or maybe even help it but for me it seems like its making things worse.

When did you start cpap therapy? Was it around the same time you started having memory issues?
I tried finding info online but not much is out there on whether cpap treatment can worsen memory
Post Reply Post Reply
As I myself have experienced, good PAP therapy lifts the brain fog and memory improved with it. So I think the question isn't is PAP therapy causing it but is your PAP therapy working correctly? What does your OSCAR info look like? Maybe therapy needs optimized to work better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You did not say if the CPAP was helping you sleep. If it is preventing sleep, it can cause memory loss and other problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP therapy has only improved my memory!

But in general, since around January my health has been changing for the worse. I have personal opinions on why this might be, starting with the V word, but I'd rather not participate in a political discussion about what our society is doing to itself right now. So I'll just leave it at this: I do believe you've had the health decline you're experiencing, but I would be willing to bet it's not at all CPAP related.
Post Reply Post Reply
For the most part it doesn't really prevent my sleep. I sleep from 6 to 7 hours usually which is a bit on the lower end i guess.

that is interesting. maybe my cpap machine just isnt working as well and so the effects of untreated sleep apena are messing with my memory rather than the machine itself. i think the biggest problem i face is that some nights i have a lot of leaks like over 30L. The other problem could be that I sleep around 6 to 7 hours on cpap which i guess could be too low.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,064 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 159 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 253 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,355 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 151 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 957 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.