Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP therapy doesn't seem to be working
RE: CPAP therapy doesn't seem to be working
You get your machine titrated during a few hours of very poor "sleep". Then the people who give it to you tell you need to use it for a few weeks to get some good data. If the pressure is too high you can wind up with CAs that you never had before and they don't respond to your call for help. But be careful because they then could tell you that you now have Complex Sleep Apnea and will give you an ASV machine to treat a condition that was caused by the treatment in the first place.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 02:49 PM)Michael4786 Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 12:29 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: In the meantime, call a supervisory clinician at your DME and relay this information.

I talked to my respiratory therapist at my medical device company. She is also very concerned about my readings.

Did she express anything other than her concern? hhhmmmm....

Have little fear, the therapy is 100% effective. You'll get there!

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2015, 03:22 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 02:49 PM)Michael4786 Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 12:29 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: In the meantime, call a supervisory clinician at your DME and relay this information.

I talked to my respiratory therapist at my medical device company. She is also very concerned about my readings.

Did she express anything other than her concern? hhhmmmm....

Have little fear, the therapy is 100% effective. You'll get there!

Just that we need to speak to my doctor right away. My Apnea is getting progressively worse with each night of tx. She's never seen a 60 reading with CPAP therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, there's definitely something wrong going on, and it's more likely than not that the machine is not responsible for it, but the machine should be checked out!

Hope they can get you over this hurdle.

Or perhaps it's the wrong type of xPAP machine for you? I have no idea, and no idea if user error.

But with little doubt you will get the therapy to work!

Keep us posted!

Best wishes,
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you install the SleepyHead software and transfer your data to your computer. Then take some screenshots of your graphs. Play with the software so that you can expand the graphs to get a better picture of your breathing and pressure patterns. Post some of the screenshots and invite some discussion.
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your responses. It turned out my doctor had prescribed the wrong machine. I needed a BiPap machine with a "kick." This actually went along with my titration study. The error has really concerned me and I've asked to change doctors. (I only saw him once anyway after my sleep studies, which were ordered by my PCP.) For two nights in a row, my api has been under 5. With the wrong machine, I was getting numerous central apneas, something I did not have at all in my initial studies, so they were CPAP induced. Feeling better.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it was indeed the wrong type of machine!

Bet that substantially eased your mind!

Great!

Congrats and cheers,
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2015, 01:10 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: So it was indeed the wrong type of machine!

Great!

Congrats and cheers,
Thanks Ted!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2015, 12:49 PM)Michael4786 Wrote: Thanks all for your responses. It turned out my doctor had prescribed the wrong machine. I needed a BiPap machine with a "kick." This actually went along with my titration study. The error has really concerned me and I've asked to change doctors. (I only saw him once anyway after my sleep studies, which were ordered by my PCP.) For two nights in a row, my api has been under 5. With the wrong machine, I was getting numerous central apneas, something I did not have at all in my initial studies, so they were CPAP induced. Feeling better.

It is great that you have gotten that ironed out. Big GrinBig Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2015, 12:49 PM)Michael4786 Wrote: Thanks all for your responses. It turned out my doctor had prescribed the wrong machine. I needed a BiPap machine with a "kick." This actually went along with my titration study. The error has really concerned me and I've asked to change doctors. (I only saw him once anyway after my sleep studies, which were ordered by my PCP.) For two nights in a row, my api has been under 5. With the wrong machine, I was getting numerous central apneas, something I did not have at all in my initial studies, so they were CPAP induced. Feeling better.

(07-04-2015, 01:10 PM)tedburnsIII Wrote: So it was indeed the wrong type of machine!

Great!

Congrats and cheers,

Ted,

Does this help to understand why many of us do not automatically agree with what some sleep doctors do and the same goes for sleep labs. We have seen, through others on this forum, some stuff that appears pretty dodgey and is often proven to be downright wrong. If all labs followed the guidelines for sleep testing that you refer, to the world would be a better place. It has become obvious that some do not. That is part of why all of us are in this together.

We tend, at times, to tar all doctors and labs with the same brush. It is generally through major frustration. Actually, to my mind, this whole system would work better if the DMEs became more assertive in helping the patients instead of their being so aggressive in helping their bottom line. if the DMEs were to become the patient's advocate instead of just another profit center, it would be very helpful. I know that i am making a gross generalization here. There are DMEs that do act as I have described but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Rant off

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 171 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 95 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.