Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP to APAP Transition
RE: CPAP to APAP Transition
This is why we want to see the charts. Flucuating pressures usually means your sleep is disturbed, not as bad as if your AHI was elevated but still disturbed. The idea with auto is to have you in a fairly narrow band of pressure without quick changes. In other words similar to a fixed pressure but with room to operate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2020, 07:19 PM)bonjour Wrote: This is why we want to see the charts.  Flucuating pressures usually means your sleep is disturbed, not as bad as if your AHI was elevated but still disturbed.  The idea with auto is to have you in a fairly narrow band of pressure without quick changes. In other words similar to a fixed pressure but with room to operate.

Well, I forgot to put the damn SD card back in the machine, so all I have to report is what was on the machine this morning and my observations. I am sorry about that.

Pressure= 16.4
Leak= 1 L/min
AHI= 0.4
Total AI= 0.3
Central AI= 0.0

Pressure recorded must be max because currently the machine pressure is set to 14.6-->20.0.   Good news is AHI is almost one-third that of the previous night (1.14) and max pressure was reduced to 16.4 from 18.14.  All this is based solely on setting EPR to 3 from 1.  The bad news is that although I spent close to 10 hours in bed, I didn't get a lot of beneficial sleep. My airway was collapsing on exhale and I spent the night waking, clearing my throat and swallowing hard to keep things clear. So all the numbers are going in the right direction but I need to make a change for tonight.  I now understand what Stacey was saying about good numbers aren't everything... comfort is most important.  
Because I effectively lowered my min pressure 2 cm's by the EPR change I think I need more pressure... either that or I could set EPR to 2 and collect full data tonight, hoping my breathing is improved. I don't know which is the better choice, but I do need to make a change. Please take a look and feel free to make any recommendations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on your description. EPR did what it was supposed to do. Leave EPR=3 and bump up min pressure by 1. Your numbers were generally good that generally means that most can handle the lower pressure associated with the EPR change, apparently not you. Not a problem and I did realize that was a possibility.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2020, 11:11 AM)bonjour Wrote: Based on your description.  EPR did what it was supposed to do.  Leave EPR=3 and bump up min pressure by 1.  Your numbers were generally good that generally means that most can handle the lower pressure associated with the EPR change, apparently not you.  Not a problem and I did realize that was a possibility.

Fred,
First session (5h35m) was almost flawless with most activity happening during a two hour stretch in the second. Along with the regular full chart, I've included a zoomed snapshot of the second session. All in all it was a very good night. Normal breathing was almost effortless all night, although I did have some swallowing and throat clearing toward the very end. Major improvement overall. Since I am so close to my old CPAP pressure of 15.8 I am tempted to try that. Currently at 15.6. Either that or just leave it alone and average the data over a few days. Thoughts? Thanks for getting me to a good place.  John.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2020, 11:11 AM)bonjour Wrote: Based on your description.  EPR did what it was supposed to do.  Leave EPR=3 and bump up min pressure by 1.  Your numbers were generally good that generally means that most can handle the lower pressure associated with the EPR change, apparently not you.  Not a problem and I did realize that was a possibility.
Min pressure raised to 15.8 from 15.6 with EPR = 3. Very good numbers although I am still "snoring" on exhale and my soft palate/uvula is swollen. This seems to happen most during the last 1/2 of my sleep. I included a session 2 only chart showing the pressure rise vs. FL.  For the past two nights using EPR=3 and min pressures of 15.6 & 15.8 the pressure curve has been very flat, with delta between min and max being close to 1 cm.  Any idea how to stop the exhale snoring? Cheers, John.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 425 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 583 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.