Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP to APAP advice
RE: CPAP to APAP advice
Hi All

I picked up my Resmed 10 autoset today so am looking forward to seeing some sleep data in the morning as I have not had a sleep test in about 8 years and have been using CPAP at 11cm H2O. I have 3 full face masks . Resmed airfit F20, resmed airfit F30i and a philips Dreamwear ( Which i got in the package today so Have not used it as yet ). I think I get better sleep with the F20 over the F30i so will be interesting to see the difference in data from the masks I have a couple of questions 

1. Is there a guide somewhere to interpreting and responding to the sleep data in oscar?

2. I have found some cheaper ozone machines for cleaning the CPAP on ebay. Is it worthy actually using one of these and are the ebay ones OK or should I fork out 3 times the price for ones from CPAP suplliers here in aus?. I Havent used one before.

Thanks for all your advice everyone

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
Take a look at the OSCAR help files index http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/OSCAR_Help
Also read Optimizing Therapy http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ng_therapy
and if you need more, the older Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead has a lot of information http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

If you post a chart here, you will get explanations specific to your therapy and will learn from the observations of experienced members. You made the right choice in machine. The choices from BMC had me worried, as those are not in the same class of quality and don't offer the data. These days we are trying to buy less from China, at least here in the U.S.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2020, 05:56 AM)Rich Aus Wrote: 2. I have found some cheaper ozone machines for cleaning the CPAP on ebay. Is it worthy actually using one of these and are the ebay ones OK or should I fork out 3 times the price for ones from CPAP suplliers here in aus?. I Havent used one before.

In my opinion ozone machines are a waste of money, they do nothing for you, and they can harm your CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have rarely used a humidifier with my cpap. The sleep tech that sold me my Autoset seemed to strongly suggest I use it. For those that use the humidifier - what setting do use and why do you use it?

Thanks heaps for all th replies
Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidifier is a comfort feature. I have set mine on Manual mode and then between 4-8 depending on moisture need at the time. I also have the heated hose that gets set to about 80-86 degrees F.

Your ResMed humidifier will give you the same 2 choices, manual or auto and then the setting of off and 1-8. Higher numbers increase humidity. And then if you've got a heated hose connected, you have the temperature setting for it also. BTW the heated hose is helpful in reducing rainout, which is where moisture collects inside a "cold" tube and mask. Think glass of ice water on summer day and the sweating glass, that's the moisture that drops out of the air stream and collects on unheated hoses if given the right room conditions.

Note that you don't need to use the humidifier if you do not like it, it does have an Off setting. There's also an optional blocker plate you can purchase and install in place of the humidifier tub. I think the majority of CPAP users do use some humidity, as the air tends to dry out the nose (and mouth if you mouth breathe in a full face mask) during use.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

I have attached a copy of last nights sleep data - I was suing the AIRFIT F20 Mask.The Autoset seems to be doing a great job with my AHI. I knew my pressure would be higher than the 11 cm I was running on CPAP, but am surprised how much higher it is. (I assume I look at the pressure data rather the mask pressure data?).
 Any tips or changes reccomended?

Cheers
Rich

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Rich,

The reason your pressure is so high is the amount of flow limitation being flagged I would suggest limiting your max pressure to 13 and see how it goes. Some people have this issue where due to the number of flow limitations an Autoset machine goes to max pressure and stays there. There is no need to have such a high pressure which can be disturbing in its self. Raising EPR to 3 may help reduce the flow limitations as well
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-07-2020, 01:14 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Rich,

The reason your pressure is so high is the amount of flow limitation being flagged I would suggest limiting your max pressure to 13 and see how it goes. Some people have this issue where due to the number of flow limitations an Autoset machine goes to max pressure and stays there. There is no need to have such a high pressure which can be disturbing in its self. Raising EPR to 3 may help reduce the flow limitations as well

I keep seeing flow limitation mentioned as a key indicator of sub-optimal settings, but I don't understand why.

In this case, why do you point to flow limitation and reduction of pressure to fix it?

To the OP: you did the right thing going for the Resmed machine. I tried the Devllbiss auto with no success and that experience put me off APAP for a while. Then folks on here pointed out that the Devilbiss reacts to events very slowly, often increasing pressure too slowly to prevent the event becoming a full-on apnea. I subsequently bought the Resmed and, after a few tweaks (thanks again SleepRider), my AHI is once again under control, much more so than my old CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think of flow limits as an indicator that could be the beginning of an apnea if conditions are met. The ResMed sees a FL increase and starts turning the pressure up. If the FL responds and diminishes, so should the pressure. But if a FL doesn't respond and/or if the machine doesn't lower the pressure for whatever reason, this may be a reason to manually lower the set Max pressure to minimize patient disturbances, discomfort, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 289 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 369 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.