Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP to APAP
Cool 
CPAP to APAP
Hi, I am a new member to this site. Wondering if anyone has been set up as an APAP user. I am trying it now it is very different then being set up as a CPAP. Is the adjustment hard.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP to APAP
Welcome! What are the difference that you're noticing? Everyone's different in what does and doesn't bother them, so it'd be good to hear more about your personal experience.

And I'm curious: why were you set up originally on a fixed pressure? And why have you been changed to an adjustable pressure? Did your sleep tech or doc give you information about those points?
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using a CPAP since 1998. CPAP was all they had back then. My setting starts at 6.5 and ramps to 13cmH2O. With the APAP they set it with a range from 4cmH2O to 20. When it starts at 4 I feel like i am not getting enough air. I do have sinus issues due to allergies so the air doesn't feel strong enough. With the CPAP unit set at 6.5 to start it pushed enough air that my nose would clear up and all was well and I will usually fall asleep before the ramp up hits 13cmH@O. The problem is sometimes when I put the mask I don't fall asleep very quickly and the unit will ramp up and that,s quite a bit of air. I changes to an APAP after reading about it. I liked the idea of your body dictating how much air you need versus the machine giving you the air it is set at.  I have only been using it for 2 weeks so I'm still trying to adjust to it. Maybe if it can be set to 6 to 20 it might work better for me. Just wondering. If it doesn't work for me I can always go back to the continuous air flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board. A normal adult will not be able to get enough air at 4. I need 8 to feel I have enough. I would turn off any ramp you do not get any therapy while you are using it.

To know anything about your therapy you need a program to show you what is happening throughout the night. OSCAR is what we use here - it is totally free and you can download it at the top of the site.

You need a SD card if your machine did not come with one (some suppliers supply some don’t) ask your supplier for one. If the don’t give you one they are very inexpensive. Any size from 2gb to 32gb.

Get a nights sleep with it in the machine and post here. You will learn a lot and get better therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
musicman,
Definitely set your machine to a pressure range of 6.5 or 7 minimum.  A setting of 4 is too low and will cause you to feel air starved.  You can set the maximum pressure at 15 for now until we see what the machine wants to do.  
Also, turn the ramp feature to off.  

Some things to do:  Order your clinicians manual for your machine here:  https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Download the free OSCAR software to track your progress. This is what we like to see so that we can advise you properly.  Be sure you have an SD card in your Cpap.  

Once you have everything set up, you can post a screenshot of the daily page in OSCAR here for further optimization and advice.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to go a bit further. To better replicate your previous CPAP performance, You need to access the provider settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

Set the Mode to Auto CPAP.
Set Minimum Pressure to 12.0
Set Maximum Pressure to 18.0
Set A-Flex or C-Flex to comfort
If you require Ramp, set to Auto or no more than 20 minutes starting at a pressure of 7.0

The minimum pressure is less than your original machine, but in the neighborhood of your previous CPAP. The auto CPAP will only go as high as needed, and the Philips Dreamstation is slow to increase pressure, so won't get anywhere near the maximum. The minimum pressure must be set high enough to prevent most events, and based on your prior settings, 12 is the minimum you should consider, and I would not hesitate to set it at 13.5 if that was working well for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the information. I will reset the machine and get the settings more to my liking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 562 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.