Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Book Recommendations
CPAP Book Recommendations
I see a few books on CPAP for beginners available on Amazon. Any recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Book Recommendations
Are you looking for books on OSA or CPAP itself?

The best books written about OSA for patients that I've run across are:

Sleep Interrupted by Dr. Steven Y. Park
Sound Sleep, Sound Mind by Dr. Barry Krakow

Park's book is a thorough introduction to OSA and what it does and how CPAP addresses. The first half of Krakow's book focuses more on insomnia than OSA or CPAP, but one of Krakow's hypotheses is that undiagnosed OSA is the root cause for a lot of people's chronic insomnia. And so the second half of his book is a pretty sound and thorough treatment of OSA and CPAP written with an eye towards persuading an insomnia who doesn't quite want to accept that they may have a sleep disordered breathing problem to accept the possibility by explaining just how untreated OSA can affect the body in multiple ways, including (in some people) chronic problems with poor sleep that is mistaken for insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I was interested in CPAP and the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2013, 09:20 PM)JohnNJ Wrote: Thanks for the info. I was interested in CPAP and the machines.
You can look at the manufactures web site, lots of information there. Each manufacture tells you their machines are better than the rest.
Because of information and software (ResScan and SleepyHead) availability that narrowed it down to two choices ... ResMed S9 and Phillips Respironcis System One (PRS1) ... also both machines uses SD card and don,t require any special card reader
ResMed ... avoid any machine with Escape in the name (model name shown next to stop/start button)
PRS1 ...... avoid any machine with SE in the name and model number below 460 (model number shown at the bottom of the machine label)
remove water tank before checking

S9 series specifications http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

PRS1 comparison guide http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....-guide.pdf

Don,t know about books but if you,re looking for something specific, might find a link or two for you

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Interrupted! I was trying to think of that title the other day. Thanks!

Quote:Thanks for the info. I was interested in CPAP and the machines.

A book on that? Not sure one exists. If it does, it would be outdated far too quickly. There are too many machines and they change too often.

For giggles, I did a Google search. There's a funny book on Amazon called This Book Blows: A CPAP Bedside Companion. Since it is meant to be funny and not informational, it will always be up-to-date. Another book, The CPAP Book, the first half seems interesting but the second half is about specific masks from over 2 years ago. It might be worth it just for the first half. I don't think it is on Amazon. You can Google the title and find their web page.

I found others but they seemed more hype than useful information. If the words "here's why you need to buy my book" appear more than anything else, then I don't want to buy the book.

I will probably get the funny one just to have for fun.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also, if you are on a limited budget, check the library and see if they have the books or they can borrow the book from another library.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,219 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 318 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 388 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.