Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings
CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings
HI - I was having some "Clear Airway" events as well as some general tolerance issues with my CPAP after about 8 months of use with the CPAP.  Doctor suggested that I try the BIPAP saying that both these issues might be addressed by the BIPAP.

With the CPAP - My pressure settings were previously set for 6-12 with an EPR Level of 3.  Most of the night the pressure would stay somewhere between 6 and 8, rarely did it creep up much above 8 or 9.  I let the doc know that these higher pressure settings were very difficult to tolerate for me and she thought too that the higher settings could be contributing to the CA events.

Now that the BIPAP, I see that the setting starts at 6, but I guess with the nature of BIPAP vs CPAP, there is a higher setting for the inhale vs exhale.  So the 6 is corresponding to my exhale setting and it goes up to 10 for my inhale.  

So before where I used to be at a steady pressure setting, now I'm bouncing back and forth between a 6 and 10.   I think that this is making things worse.   

My question is (and I'm still waiting to hear back from doc and or respiratory therapist on this), should that old pressure level of 6 be matched up with the inhale setting on the BiIPAP rather than the exhale setting?  So in other words rather than currently having 6 for exhale and 10 for inhale, should I be 2 for exhale and 6 for inhale?

I was originally told that the BIPAP would make it easier to exhale.  So still having this setting of 6 for my exhale doesnt seem an improvement.   And now having the additional pressure up to 10 is causing mask leaks.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP to BiPAP transition and pressure settings
Please post some charts from your machine past and present. It is best to make recommendations based on actual data, and there are nuances in the OSCAR charts that are best seen.

I am not quite sure without seeing data how a bilevel would be more tolerable for you with the same settings as a CPAP. Rather than guess, lets review your current data and see what makes sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi - Thanks for getting back so quickly.   I'll try to gather this data, but in the meantime - just to clarify, I wasn't so much looking for feedback on whether or not the BiPap vs CPAP was needed.   I was just looking for general recommendations on the pressure level and whether or not these corresponding pressure levels make sense.

When discussing the possibility of transitioning to BiPap - the way the doctor explained it was with the CPAP you have a constant pressure of 6 (inhale and exhale).  With the BiPap - it lowers the pressure on your exhale making it easier to exhale.  Well this kinda makes sense to me - so far so good.

The supplier gives me the machine and once I turn it on and observe the pressure settings I see that I am at 6 for exhale and 10 on inhale.  Yes there is a difference the exhale is indeed lower than the inhale.  However the level of 6 is exactly where I was at before.  To me, it would make sense that this exhale number should be LOWER than the 6.   Is my thinking correct here?
Post Reply Post Reply
Regardless of whether the question is "do I need BPAP or CPAP" or if it's "what pressures are correct", the response still is we'll be better equipped to help when we see OSCAR charts. We could just guess, but it's far faster and much more accurate with data to base answers and directed pressure edits.

Most cases BPAP (bilevel) is a better therapy, unless the diagnosis was Central based. If my interpretation of your settings is accurate, exhale EPAP is 6, while inhale IPAP is 10, this makes PS 4. That may be too much differential and increasing CA. But right now we're still at the guessing game.

You may want to include the detailed diagnostic report. It should tell about your Apnea, which shapes what your settings and correct machine ought to be. And yes you need this report, even if it's never shared and sits in your sock drawer for 20 years collecting dust. This report proves need of therapy, and things happen to reports. So you need your report as a data backup. In the US, HIPAA permits your request, so pull that card if doc refuses to supply it.

And 6-10 isn't a very high pressure spread. Mine was 7-25.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are many differences between the Autoset and Vauto. EPR and PS are only one of them in that EPR is a drop in pressure for EPAP and PS is an increase in pressure for IPAP. Simply put, with EPR if your IPAP is 9 with an EPR of 3, then your EPAP is 6 (9-3=6). On a Vauto if your EPAP is 6 and PS is 3, then your IPAP is 9 (6+3=9).

It sounds like your bilevel came set up for an EPAP min of 6 and PS of 4, which means IPAP is 10 to start. Without any data to support this starting point, it seems a reasonable place to begin.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELP with CPAP settings, not feeling rested in the morning! jc1996 2 120 1 hour ago
Last Post: jc1996
  Optimal Settings on iBreeze BiPAP to reduce FL ewriter 27 367 11 hours ago
Last Post: ewriter
Question Pressure Settings for UARS Mild Apnea, Airsense 10 risherwood 3 109 04-26-2024, 06:12 AM
Last Post: risherwood
  New to BiPAP Therapy: Seeking Guidance on Settings Kevinbipap 4 156 04-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Kevinbipap
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 17 501 04-24-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: BigWing
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 3 228 04-20-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,322 04-19-2024, 04:17 AM
Last Post: jiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.