Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

question about oximeters for detection of apnea
RE: question about oximeters for detection of apnea
SandysSpot, IIRC I exhaled before starting the test, but there might be a bit of air left. BTW.. did your SpO2 drop during that test?

krelvin, I didn't read the model on the oximeters I used, but they were of an 'all in one' type, with blood pressure, oximeter, and thermometer probes, all attached to the same unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 01:36 PM)john4131 Wrote: SandysSpot, IIRC I exhaled before starting the test, but there might be a bit of air left. BTW.. did your SpO2 drop during that test?

You've got lungs of steel man! I needed a chest full of air to even hold 40 seconds! LOL! I honestly assumed you inhaled a bit before doing that test. I can't make it 15 seconds (at least when I'm awake LOL) before I'm giving up and gasping for air.

I do not have a home oxymeter to do the readings. I'll only admit to being curious to see if I could hold my breath that long. /blush Bug-eyed
Sandy
Post Reply Post Reply
No breath, hold for 30 seconds. O2 went from 98% to 96%, Heart rate dropped from 61 to 56 long before the O2 moved.

This is the cheap no data unit. The new one with data capabilities is still in the shipping box. won't be playing with it until this afternoon. Supposed to be working right now. Wink

i.imgur.com/0RktzDt.png
Post Reply Post Reply
An overnight study with a recording pulseox can give you a really good indication that you do have apnea.

However, you can have very severe apnea and not show anything on a pulseox.

It's sort of like checking someone's blood pressure and pulse. It may tell you they have a very serious heart problem and you need to investigate further. However, you could have very serious heart problems and still have a normal pulse and pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,808 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,616 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  central apnea question singergal67 11 989 06-06-2023, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 dip without apnea, breathing pattern question rjbutler 7 777 05-14-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rjbutler
  O2ring Motion Detection? Windswell 4 989 04-14-2023, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
Brick Can slight arrythmia disrupt oximeters? Seems not? DavidEsp 3 528 04-13-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.