Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] turning cpap off whilst asleep!!
Angry 
turning cpap off whilst asleep!!
Hi everyone,
I'm new on here, had my resmed s9 escape for three weeks now, going ok apart from taking the mask off and switching the machine off during the night, and not remembering doing it! Any one done the same and how have you stopped doing it?
Many thanks in advance
Nick
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: turning cpap off whilst asleep!!
Hi nickthegreek42,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try wearing your mask and using your machine while you watch TV during the evening so that you may have an easier time getting used to it when you get ready to go to sleep.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you go on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Taking off the mask is very common for new users. Turning it off is not that common. You're very clever!

One thing you can do is sit up during the day and wear the mask with the machine on. This will get you (and your brain) used to the sensation. Wear it while watching TV or reading or whatever.

The other thing is to somehow make it complicated for you to reach the machine in your sleep. Put it just out of reach so that you have to get up out of bed to reach it. When I had to get up for work, I had to put my alarm clock on the other side of the room, else I would reach over, slap it, and go right back to sleep, never realizing I had done it until I was way way late.

Just remember to not put it so far away that you risk it being pulled onto the floor by your hose.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 04:26 PM)nickthegreek42 Wrote: Hi everyone,
I'm new on here, had my resmed s9 escape for three weeks now, going ok apart from taking the mask off and switching the machine off during the night, and not remembering doing it! Any one done the same and how have you stopped doing it?
Many thanks in advance
Nick
Hi Nick and welcome
yep at first ripped the mask many times during the night
it can be overwhelming sleeping with 6 foot long hose connected to a blower
some folk find using ramp feature allows them to start with lower pressure and as fall asleep pressure gradually increase to set pressure

try wear the mask with machine during the day for a short period of time while awake, for example while relaxing listening to some of your favorite music. once you get accustomed .. it would become part of your night time routine.
everyone is different. its important to find the right mask and size works best for you

your S9 Escape is a basic machine, shows only how many hours using the machine each night
S9 Autoset and S9 Elite (not S9 Escape Auto) are data capable machines shows efficacy data AHI/leak which is important part of therapy.
without efficacy data, you and the doc have no evidence how the therapy is working

Post Reply Post Reply
experiment with EPR feature ...decrease pressure by 1-2-3 as you exhale
some find breathing out against lower pressure more comfortable

Post Reply Post Reply
A couple of weeks after I started wearing CPAP, I too would sometimes wake-up and find my mask next to the headboard with air rushing-out of it, sometimes blowing in my face and the straps were securely clipped into their slots too. The strangest part was, I had been wearing it and sleeping through the night - mostly, I continually woke-up after 4, 5 or 6 hours of sleep on CPAP raring to go, it took me a year to get used to waking-up and being fully awake and ready to do something other than going back to sleep, now 4 1/2 years later I can sleep 8 or 9 hours, my body finally got used to "real" sleep.

I don't have a clue why I would rip it off like that since I desperately wanted to use CPAP, after my very first night of wearing it, I woke-up 2 hours later, wide-awake and bursting with energy, I'd just had more "real" sleep than I'd had in the previous 30+ years. Smile

Like everyone else has said, your brain will get used to it, I don't ever want to sleep without CPAP again. It's so worth it for me not to wake-up feeling like I've been running a marathon all night.

I-love-CPAP

Good luck,

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 04:26 PM)nickthegreek42 Wrote: Hi everyone,
Many thanks in advance

I built a comprehensive glossary of every sleep definition I could find. Of course there's a name for what you describe. With my memory, don't ask me what it is at the moment. I admit to being guilty of same at times. I'd love to hear a solution. I guess the more comfortable you are with it, the more you will be able to stick with it. That's not necessarily something you can deliberately control. Say - if the Apnea Board guys don't mind me forwarding a copy (any and all corrections/additions are welcome) I'll gladly upload it. 38 pages of 12-point Times New Roman. Well, 38 HALF pages as it's in table format, the term on the left and the definition on the right.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I am woken up, I can carry on a decent conversation. But if I go back to sleep without actually getting out of bed, I wake up with no memory of the event at all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have woken to find that I have released one of the straps of my headgear from the mask frame, but have not removed the mask in the 3 months since commencing cpap therapy. I think the chin strap I wear most likely prevents me from removing the mask as I wear it over the top of my headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2012, 05:07 PM)zonk Wrote: your S9 Escape is a basic machine, shows only how many hours using the machine each night
S9 Autoset and S9 Elite (not S9 Escape Auto) are data capable machines shows efficacy data AHI/leak which is important part of therapy.
without efficacy data, you and the doc have no evidence how the therapy is working

Hi nickthegreek42, welcome to the forum!

If it is not too late to refuse to accept the Escape and to ask for a data capable model, Archangle's recommendations for machine choices can be found in our Wiki, here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Honestly, I wish the medical industry would discontinue selling new bricks (machines that are not fully data capable). As the financial and human costs of inadequate treatment of Sleep Apnea (usually caused by pressure prescriptions which are too high or too low, or caused by use of a standard machine when a more advanced machine is needed which can treat Complex Sleep Apnea) become ever more apparent, I would expect the "standard of care" for doctors will eventually be upgraded to include periodic inspection of the data to verify treatment efficacy (not just whether the machine is being used faithfully).

Also, if possible, I suggest you request an Auto machine which is fully data capable, even if the doctor wants it set it in CPAP mode instead of Auto mode. (Some patients do better on CPAP mode, and some doctors distrust Auto mode, whether or not it might be best for the patient.)

If a data-capable Auto machine is operated in Auto mode it would be able to adapt to your changing pressure needs (because of sleep position changes or weight changes or medication changes or diet changes, etc).

If a data-capable Auto machine is operated in CPAP mode, whenever your doctor wants a new titration (to check whether your treatment pressure is optimal), all a DME would need to do is to change your machine to Auto mode for a while in a "home titration". Beats the heck out of needing to have another $3,000 Sleep Study done every year or two in order to track changing needs.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 757 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,751 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 114 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 268 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 658 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Haven't been able to fall asleep wearing biPAP AlgebraicMisery 1 230 02-17-2024, 07:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.