Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use after septoplasty, turbinate reduction surgery?
Question 
CPAP use after septoplasty, turbinate reduction surgery?
Has anyone had their deviated septum (septoplasty) and turbinate reduction and was able to use their CPAP the same night?

I'm currently scheduled next week for the procedure. My ENT doctor claims he is OK with me trying it. But from all the videos I've seen, there may be major nasal congestion. I use a FF mask.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP use after septoplasty, turbinate reduction surgery?
When I had my turbinates done I had splints in my nose for 7 days.[large tubes like straws] Using a full face mask, I had no trouble breathing thru my mouth and some thru my nose. They sewed the large straws thru my septum to keep them in place. I kept the straws clean by back flushing with a neddie pot. The straws/splints drove me crazy. They did the redction while I was awake! It was way worth it. I would do it again if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the turbinate reduction done about 10 years ago, I didn't get straws though, my doctor packed my nose with gauze and gave me a full face mask. Might be good to ask the doctor how he will dress you for healing and if he can prescribe you a full face mask before the surgery if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2018, 11:11 AM)Mark Sadler Wrote: When I had my turbinates done I had splints in my nose for 7 days.[large tubes like straws] Using a full face mask, I had no trouble breathing thru my mouth and some thru my nose. They sewed the large straws thru my septum to keep them in place. I kept the straws clean by back flushing with a neddie pot. The straws/splints drove me crazy. They did the redction while I was awake! It was way worth it. I would do it again if needed.

Were you able to use CPAP that same night of the surgery?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-19-2018, 06:37 PM)macamon Wrote: I had the  turbinate reduction done about 10 years ago, I didn't get straws though, my doctor packed my nose with gauze and gave me a full face mask. Might be good to ask the doctor how he will dress you for healing and if he can prescribe you a full face mask before the surgery if needed.

I use a Full face mask already. But one ENT doctor told me that CPAP could cause trauma to my nose and stated I couldn't use if for several nights after the surgery. Another ENT doctor said he was fine with me trying to use my CPAP.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 209 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,217 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 252 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 357 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,408 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 307 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 476 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.