Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
This is the video included in the site SteveSP linked to.

Some thoughts, but I think the MedCram guy himself said it's just speculation at this stage. I don't think there's enough there to change the fundamental approach. But of course SARS-Cov2 is a new and previously unknown virus, so all the old rules are up for debate.

this may already has been posted, but could contain some information:

Lancet Respir Med. Tom McEnery, Ciara Gough, Richard W. Costello: "COVID-19: Respiratory support outside the intensive care unit", April 09, 2020, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(20)30176-4
It would really help if you could include the summary or abstract in your post so we dont need to download the whole document every time.
Pls feel free and delete that posting, if it's not useful.
Does'nt matter ;-)
BTW You can also terminate the complete useraccount of "cryonix" - it seems, his postings are not really desired.
Bye  Wave
(04-13-2020, 01:28 PM)cryonix Wrote: Pls feel free and delete that posting, if it's not useful.
Does'nt matter ;-)
BTW You can also terminate the complete useraccount of "cryonix" - it seems, his postings are not really desired.
Bye  Wave

Seriously?  Rolleyes 

You want your account deleted because someone asked you to post a quick summary?  He didn't say your post was not helpful, he simply asked for a summary of the document.  Quit acting like you're being persecuted.

Suggestion:  if a member is so sensitive that they can't handle someone replying to their post, please, just don't bother posting in the first place.  This forum is for the adults who know how to engage in proper, civil conversation.

I'll go ahead and de-register your account as you wish.

Oh-jeez
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Super Sleeper,

I think you are right on track here.  As hospitals fill up, and resources become limited, I am sure we will see health care rationing in the U.S., similar to what we have seen in some European Countries.  For those of us who are 65 and older, our chances of receiving meaningful care at a hospital are probably slim.  A few weeks ago, I started thinking about ways to possibly use my A-10 as an alternative to hospitalization.

I have already developed a plan to use my equipment, and that plan involves raising the base and maximum pressures to achieve better inflation, and also using the EPR function on level 3 to assist with the exhaling effort.  I will also add supplimental Oxygen as needed to maintain a saturation level of at least 90%, if possible.

Since Covid-19 is such a severe inflamatory infection, with a strong probability of a secondary bacterial infection, I think many of our members with Asthma, etc. will know just how to handle those problems.  The biggest difficulty might be for some people to have those medications on hand, in advance.

My wife and I have been in complete isolation since January, as that is really the only meaningful defence to this virus.  So far, so good.
Best wishes to everyone here!  I hope we all make it through this.

HP
Some MDs' thinking is moving toward lower pressure with more O2 for Covid-19
My thanks and a hat tip is due member ragtopcircus for his post of a link to reporting about the MD who applied his mind and eyes to what he was seeing, and would not blindly follow a widely used--and to his thinking harmful to his patient--ventilation protocol for a disease that is not understood. That MD begins the video.

https://thehighwire.com/exclusive-video-...-covid-19/

To give my impression, here is a quote from my email to a nurse I know:

I think one needs to be aware of the tendency to use wrong, but approved, protocols to set all these ventilators so much in the news for Covid-19. As his or her accompanying advocate, I would question my loved one's being ventilated for Covid-19 without having  gone over this matter in the ER or ICU. 

The first 42 minutes of the video include Dr. Cameron Kyle-Siddell's (approx. 15 min.) speaking out on need to give more O2 and lowered pressures in ventilation of those patients who ordinarily are treated according to most hospitals' ARDS ventilation protocol (forced breathing, higher pressures, some O2). 

The remainder of the first 42 minutes is Dr. James Neuenschwander (Ann Arbor, MI) explaining the basis of that MD's stand, its logic. The problem is that O2 carrying capacity of blood is attacked by Covid-19; he leads into that matter at about 17 minute mark and gets to explaining why Hydroxychloroquine helps similarly to how it helps with malaria, addressing/overcoming the loss of O2 carrying capacity. It seems that high O2 early might well reduce  needs for ventilation.
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Here the Australian Chief Scientific Officer is interviewed on Australia acquisition of ventilating machines.

Per head of population  we have approx about the same proportion to population as the US , 5000 machines vs US of 75,000 , if my maths is correct that is both around 4.5 machines each per 100,000 people.  Luckily we havent had to use a large number but its early days, this has a lot longer to run. So far  current count is 6414 cases and 61 deaths.

The interview see

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-15/c...s/12147638
"  I will also add supplimental Oxygen as needed to maintain a saturation level of at least 90%, if possible. "

Adding oxygen to the airstream output of a CPAP type machine is something I have done for years. I think that it takes much more oxygen than you think. It is diluted much more than without the CPAP. However any help keeping your oxygen level up is great. I sometimes must turn my oxygen up to the machines max.

If my oxygen machines alarm sounds I ignore it. The alarm is set up to tell you that less than about 85% oxygen. As the flow from the oxygen machine is increased you are still getting more oxygen output. The CPAP reacts by decreasing it's flow rate and maintaining pressure.

The effect is that I get as much oxygen as my equipment will make. It keeps me out of the hospital.

P.S.  Earplugs are nice to have. Dielaughing

wesozzz, it's nice to see a government forming a group, the Commonwealth Government COVID-19 ventilator taskforce, to solve one of the challenges of this virus. I wonder if the USA will form such an official group before it's too late. Oh well, we have lots of medical, industry, and educational groups working on it.

Just smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.