Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
I feel sure that passing through a copper mesh will NOT disinfect the CPAP exhaust. As a retired ocean engineer, I've long been aware that many metals tend to kill bacteria and viruses, but had guessed that the more "noble" metals would be more effective (google galvanic series). Maybe not, so maybe copper is better than, say, silver, but either way the target must settle on the metal for a while, to be effective.

I feel sure that a UV disinfectant lamp would be much more effective, but should be shielded from the patient. That approach is used to disinfect water in many applications.

Regardless of what else you do, it seems self-evident that a dedicated room for the sick person/s would be advisable, though as they say, everyone else in the household has probably already been exposed.

Negative pressure in the room, using a fan or blower, seems like a good idea, but maybe a room HEPA air filter would be enough.

If using the blower-in-a-tube idea, maybe a CPAP hose, taped to the mask outlet, and leading into that tube, would help. An in-line filter in that hose wouldn't hurt, unless it adds enough back-pressure to increase mask leakage. I found some that claim to catch viruses, but I wouldn't count on that.

Don't forget that we, the CPAP users, might also want to be protected from any household members who have a virus. To that end, consider adding a HEPA filter to your standard filter. I've used a HEPA filter on my ResMed AirSense 10, and it deflected back against the intake hole after a very short time, but if I keep one of the regular, thicker, filters behind it, then it works for many days. Once the HEPA filter deflects back against the air hole, all the intake air must go through that very small area, and it plugs up quickly.

If you don't have a CPAP model for which HEPA filters are available, you could try one of those in-line filters I mention above.
Speaking of in-line filters, unless using a bedpan, we might need something while going to the bathroom, or to protect ourselves if other household members are sick, or while going shopping.

If you didn't stock up on N95 masks, or anything, consider using a full face CPAP mask with a short hose and an in-line filter to protect yourself, or if not sure you don't have COVID-19, then tape another one to the outlet of your mask
This article may provide something to think about when trying to disinfect the CPAP exhaust.

From my understanding it involves coating the mask, or its active layer with a salt coating to help deactivate the virus. In other articles there is discussion about coatings of salt plus potash and a small amount of wetter?

https://www.createdigital.org.au/enginee...nfections/

There maybe better discussion papers around that others can locate.
I might exposing myself to demonstrating a significant lack of knowledge here ( highly likely). But with regard to spreading virus via the mask exhausts. As most machines come with intake disposable HEPA grade filters is it not a relatively simple matter to stick one of these over the exhaust outlet?
I think the problem with adding filters onto a CPAP mask is the probability of adding a vent restriction and in turn increasing CO2 levels.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Here's a crude stab at improvising a sufficient negative pressure space for protection of caregiver while using standard xPAP equipment that exhausts inside the living space. Many ways of implementing the pictured basic scheme would improve on it.

Like most of us, I see the aim of this thread as potentially vital to me and others. I hope to get constructive comment and criticism before spending--this while continually assessing the reports of covid infection and care trajectories globally. If one is already infected, unknowingly, it may even now be too late to prepare for those whom triage may/should? turn away. We need a well reasoned "when all else fails" setup.

With all elements in place and xPAP machine and mask and exhaust fan in operation, the air flow through the cross section at the entrance of the funnel/tunnel should be tested, say with match flames, to ensure all air exhausts only through the window porthole. Wind outdoors and attendants entering to help the patient will affect flow and turbulence. Another window or door being cracked open in the house would help flow.

Tube tents have a peak that is held up by a rope that runs through the tube and is typically tied to trees near each end of the tunnel

Please forgive the messy sketch from a covid-vulnerable-old-guy with multiple heart implants. The marks reflect shaky hands, my usual need to do several more versions before sharing, and my present need to get back to other matters.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21417]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

(03-28-2020, 07:06 PM)Johnboy Wrote: I might exposing myself to demonstrating a significant lack of knowledge here ( highly likely). But with regard to spreading virus via the mask exhausts. As most machines come with intake disposable HEPA grade filters is it not a relatively simple matter to stick one of these over the exhaust outlet?

The standard filters aren't HEPA. HEPAs remove 99.99% of particles 0.3 microns and larger. The standard filter on most machines is non-woven Polyester fiber that removes 75% of particles 7 microns and larger. N95 masks remove 95% of particles 0.3 microns and larger.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Speaking of filters... 
Is there a "best" filter for ResMed's AirSense 10 series during the coronavirus outbreak?  I currently use the Sunset CF2107HA-1 Hypoallergenic Filters.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
If it doesn't say HEPA it probably isn't. I see that the description of those Sunset filters, on Amazon, says they're comparable to the OEM or Exceleron filters, so I wouldn't even count on them being better than the normal ones. Also an answer to one of the questions mentions that they are thinner than the OEM ones, so they might have the same challenge as the HEPA filters I have, which is that they soon deflect back against the intake hole, then air goes only through that small area, and they plug up quickly.

Since the HEPA filters I have are thin, i put a standard (thick) filter behind it, to keep it from deflecting. It's too bad there isn't room to put another one in front of it, to take out the larger particles, but they seem to last plenty long with the one behind them (I don't usually use them, but am saving them for when I want to filter better, such as when somebody in the house is sick).
It's probably better than the standard filter but I doubt it meets n95 specs. I don't understand the concern for a filter that will remove covid-19 containing droplets. If they're in your home air you will inhale them when your not using your machine. What am I missing?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 553 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.