Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
CPAP machines may cause more harm than good to COVID19 patients. According to Washington state health sources Bipap machines may have caused the rapid spread of the SARS-Cov2 virus. See the story in YahooNews about Elon Musks useless and harmful donation of used BiPap machines.
Not just to be contrary, but mhehe where is your proof to support the claim "CPAP machines may cause more harm than good to COVID19 patients"?

I realize there's been risk mentioned about aerosolization involving COVID-19 and a CPAP. There's been talk that maybe affected people be quarantined to specific areas of the home, and similar things. However, don't dare post warnings or scare tactics like this without proof. Let me differentiate as I see it: warnings have reasonable proof to back up the claim, scare tactics don't have proof. So where is the proof?

I do advise to all to be careful with dealing with this COVID-19 issue with or without CPAP. Wash your hands, social distancing, staying home as much as possible, and the rest of the appropriate warnings. We may be facing a real need to self-advocate survival, and our already owned xPAP may be a difference maker. Contemplate seriously and very deeply what actions you will or will not do.

Best wishes to AB that all get through this safely and sanely.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
ventilatorsos.com

is asking for potential donations of machines

Quote:ADMIN WARNING:  SEE THIS POST about scammers:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-COVID-19

The above site at ventilatorsos.com was created by someone only 6 days ago, and we have no way to verify whether this is legit or not.  They have a lot of "legitimate-sounding" info on their website, but no independent way of verifying their legitimacy.

There are many scammers setting up these types of websites now.
Be as it may be I hope you are as knowledgeable as the Health expert from LA mentioned in the Yahoo News article. If I get sick with Covid19 my apnea would be the least of my concerns. I am happy to note your objections. Certainly you have more experience than I have regarding respiratory issues relating to clogging of lungs.
I could see the machines passing on the disease, or any disease, that is airborne or on surfaces that was used by someone who was infected or handled by someone who was infected.

Filters need to be changed, and (I'm actually going to say this, despite my previous and long-standing antipathy toward the ozone 'cleaner' devices) if the devices are both wiped and ozonated for about an hour, I think they can be safely given to new users.  Naturally, no next-to-skin contact from a previous user would be permitted, so the head-gear and cushion would have to be new to the new user as well.

How would any of this be different for any device used to ventilate or to monitor any patient anywhere in the modern world?
Re-posting this warning folks:

(04-03-2020, 02:35 PM)TwoSleepy Wrote: ventilatorsos.com

The above site at ventilatorsos.com was created by someone only 6 days ago, and we have no way to verify whether this is legit or not.  They have a lot of "legitimate-sounding" info on their website, but no independent way of verifying their legitimacy.

Also, just because you saw a press article with a website link is no reason to assume that the link given by the reporter is legit.  Reporters are notorious for not doing their due diligence-- they're out to sell advertising space primarily and don't have anything requiring them to fully investigate sites like this for legitimacy.

Also, note to TwoSleepy:  I'm not critiquing you for posting this, I'm just trying to warn our members that scams do exist.

Also note:  the domain registration for the above website does not list legitimate contact information for who set up that website.  They have purposefully chosen to use "private domain registration" so that you cannot see who the real owner is.  That is very suspicious.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(04-03-2020, 02:35 PM)TwoSleepy Wrote: ventilatorsos.com

Ventilatorsos.com on their press release page says they are working with UC Berkley Engineering and Response4Life. UC Berkley Engineering on their website confirms they are working with Response4Life on ventilator shortages. I just emailed Response4Life on their page that said "If you see any suspicious requests claiming to be part of Response4Life"   about ventilatorsos.com. I'll report back when I get a response. My dad has two old CPAPs that he could donate.
I did a little more checking, and the person Ventilatorsos lists as their media contact on their Press page, Christina Khoury-Folkens, has a Linked In profile that works at a health care marketing company.
(04-03-2020, 03:54 PM)SleepyTexasGirl Wrote: Ventilatorsos.com on their press release page says they are working with UC Berkley Engineering and Response4Life.

Key point in your post--  "Ventilatorsos.com on their press release page says..."

Anyone can create a new website and create a "press release" page to say anything they want.  Scammers know how to make their scams seem legit.

Just a fair warning.  Even response4life.org was created only 3 weeks ago and has their domain set up as "private" so you can't see who the actual real owner is.  Anyone can get an EIN from the IRS or fill out a form, then place that form on their website ... it does not prove their legitimacy.  Even their 501-c-3 application is not signed at all.  Neither is their Articles of Incorporation signed.  All those are just some forms that anyone can "fill out" and place on their website.

Granted, the response4life site looks more legit than the others I've seen...

Here's another site that appears very amateurish and very suspicious to me as being a potential scam site:

http://www.cpapforcovid.com/

I'm not saying that any of these organizations are illegitimate.  I'm simply saying some of the info presented on their websites are somewhat suspicious-looking.   "BE CAREFUL" in other words.

Personally, I would only donate money or a CPAP machine to known legitimate organizations that have been around for years with an established history of legitimacy, or a site that was set up by a known, legitimate organization (in a way that can be independently verified).
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Disclaimer - medical information is merely information - not advice. If users need medical advice, they should consult a doctor or other appropriate medical professional.

Philips Respironics V60 and V60 Plus--circuit selection for invasive ventilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUk7muENFh8

Philips Respironics V60 and V60 Plus for invasive ventilation with a heated circuit

youtube.com/watch?v=YWMBeU__iB0

I guess this is Philips Healthcare's way of giving the official go-ahead on using BiPAP (AVAPS+Auto EPAP and PCV) for both NIV and invasive ventilation in such critical time.
Stay healthy, stay safe.
One way to handle the exhaust from a *PAP:

Run the *PAP hose to a check valve, NOT one designed for water. I used the valve from my old F&P FlexFit 431 mask
Connect that to a Tee fitting, I used a 1/2 inch PVC Tee with an inch of PVC tubing, but a Tee made for ventilators would be better
Connect the other end of the Tee to the *PAP mask, without the check valve (cut it out, or remove it, as above)
Connect the Tee branch to another CPAP hose using another short piece of tubing, and exhaust it outdoors, or to a filter, or both
Put tape on the inside of the mask's exhaust holes, to make the exhaust go out the hose

You still need a resistance in the exhaust line, or all the air from the *PAP will go out there. For now, I drilled a bunch of holes in a round section of plastic, and stuck it between the Tee branch and the PVC tubing that adapts it to the exhaust hose. When I get a PVC ball valve, I may try that, instead. I'm just taping the connections, so they can be changed. These holes or valve just need to provide about the same air flow as the original holes in the mask.

Some have complained that CO2 will build up in the mask, but if you notice what the ventilators do, and that V60 biPAP, above, you can see they leave significant air between the mouth/nose and the exhaust hose branch.

Leakage around the mask will still let some contamination into the room, but not as much as breathing without this equipment

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 507 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.