Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
I just tried posting the parts, but apparently can not because I haven't made 4 posts...sorry...
(04-06-2020, 11:10 AM)Jim Wester Wrote: I just tried posting the parts, but apparently can not because I haven't made 4 posts...sorry...

Solution:  For brand new members with less than 4 posts, if you'd like to post legitimate web pages, simply remove the HTTP part & the WWW part of the web address and put a space in between .COM part (like this:  .C OM), then the forum software will not "think" it's a link and will allow you to post the web page address.  A Moderator will be along after a while to make the link clickable.

We've waived our commercial links rule in this thread for the duration of the pandemic, see here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...19-threads
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I read an interesting article about humidity talking to Dr. Stephanie Taylor, a graduate of and lecturer at Harvard Medical School and Dr. Samira Mubareka, a medical microbiologist at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital. Certainly not a peer reviewed medical journal so take it with healthy skepticism.
https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-news...es-2229211

Quote:The research, which evaluated data from Toronto over a roughly five-year period, found higher humidity levels seemed to help create less favorable conditions for viruses to thrive, particularly in colder overall temperatures.

"It was in that range of 50 to 60 (per cent) where we saw the least amount of transmission," she said.

This was regarding various influenza type viruses. It is quite possible that COVID-19 exhibits the same behavior but:
Quote:Taylor said individuals coping with self-isolation or practicing physical distancing could benefit from boosting relative humidity levels in their own environments and called on public spaces to make such efforts a priority moving forward.

But Mubareka stopped short of echoing her recommendations, saying too much is unknown about COVID-19 at this point. 

"I wouldn't be surprised if the conditions were very similar, but until it's properly tested, I personally would hesitate to recommend the general public start implementing things of that nature," she said.
Gary
Smile 
Cool Hi!  I am new to the forum but I appreciate what is being said.  I am a long-term somewhat successful CPAP user.  I am somewhat successful in that I don't really feel I have ever slept better with CPAP, but I look on it as a "marital aid".  My spouse sleeps MUCH better with me on CPAP, and that is motivation enough for me.  I am also a retired healthcare provider (NP) and combat veteran.  I wish I had never taken microbiology.  330,000,000 Americans x 2.2% death rate (if we behave perfectly starting 2 months ago) = 7,600,000 dead Americans.  330,000,000 x 4% if we start behaving today = 13,200,000 dead Americans.  330,000,000 x 6% if it takes another month to convince the people who think a positive attitude is enough to start behaving = 19.8 million dead Americans.  At a conservative 4% this will kill 300 million people world-wide.  If you go to a hospital in Spain right now they will assign you a patch of the floor outlined in blue tape - there are no beds, and by extension there is no real reason to go to the hospital.  If you get sick soon, while there is still time, then you really need to go to the hospital.  If you get sick once the hospitals have been over-run, if you want to live you better prepare to save yourselves and your family. . . .  I have and use a CPAP.  After being asked how it was doing I once replied "I just don't think it is doing anything" which means I have a perfectly good CPAP in my closet.  My son was a wounded warrior who only made it at home for a couple of years before opioids killed what left after the Taliban bullet.  He was supposed to use CPAP and did so twice, then put the machine away.  He was asked, how are you doing? and said "I just don't think it is doing anything" and he ended up with 2 machines which I now have.  My guess is this is not that unusual of a story.  There are probably 1000s of machines out there in closets, all of which could save lives.  They do not substitute for a ventilator but they are certainly better than nothing.  If they are only successful 5% of the time that could be 660,000 lives saved in this country and probably 100 times better then hydroxy-chloroquine is going to do.  And it is sitting in your closet! Thanks
Just noticed this from CJNET today.  I, in my ignorance, cannot discern much difference in this 'newly designed' reusable face mask (see link below) vs. a slightly modified ResMed full face mask with a filter inside (maybe with some additional holes drilled in the mask plastic).  Whatever, just musing on my part.  I'm still OK after two grocery pick-ups at two of our local food marts last week.  Time will tell, I suppose.

https://www.cnet.com/news/pill-packs-and...d=12778029

Carl
"We run as fast as we can.  To get as far as we can.  So that when we finally get there we have that much further to run to get back to where we should have been."
(03-15-2020, 05:41 AM)slowriter Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 12:09 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I have sitting next to me a printed out instruction sheet for doing exactly this kind of treatment in austere environments with no modern medical facility available.

Could you post it?

Actually; not necessary. It's called "Postural Drainage," and there are e a lot resources for it. It's recommended for COPD, pneumonia, etc.

I had severe asthma as a child and I have fond memories of being bent over my mother's knee and she would pat my back with cupped hands to release the phlegm in my lungs and allow me to breathe a little easier. It was a really effective method. I'm very glad I grew out of asthma.
(04-06-2020, 02:05 PM)Gary Mussar Wrote: I read an interesting article about humidity talking to Dr. Stephanie Taylor, a graduate of and lecturer at Harvard Medical School and Dr. Samira Mubareka, a medical microbiologist at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital. Certainly not a peer reviewed medical journal so take it with healthy skepticism.
https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-news...es-2229211

Quote:The research, which evaluated data from Toronto over a roughly five-year period, found higher humidity levels seemed to help create less favorable conditions for viruses to thrive, particularly in colder overall temperatures.

"It was in that range of 50 to 60 (per cent) where we saw the least amount of transmission," she said.
Quote: I personally would hesitate to recommend the general public start implementing things of that nature," she said.
Gary

'" personally would hesitate to recommend the general public start implementing things of that nature".  The 'general public' (which is only slightly less offensive than 'ordinary Canadians' which is so often used to keep us in our place. Why not simply 'people' which would include the writers as well) if it has any sense, is already keeping track of its indoor climate by means of thermometers and an hygrometer.  For arthritis and asthma sufferers, especially, climate is important and, as I have serious arthritis, I've been checking my hygrometer every morning  for years and turning my dehumidifier on if necessary.  It's set to turn off when the humidity falls to 50 and turn on if it reaches 60.  In really damp outdoor conditions it turns off and on during the day and I can empty many litres of water out daily and keep my air breathable and my arthritis more or less under control.  
 The caveat Gary adds about 'healthy skepticism' is important. Let's not allow the 'medical professionals' to dictate too much what we should do or not do.  They've been dangerously wrong several times in recent weeks and steered people away from using their own innate common sense. - in using face masks, for instance.  An about-turn now is almost as unhelpful as the original advice not to use them, as it seriously undermines confidence in our supposedly top health officials (in Canada certainly!)  They have no more idea what COVID-19 is, does or will do than any of the rest of us.
Photos from the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic

Looks like we were also trying to innovate a respirator alternative back in 1918.  The first box looks like it has 3 tubes coming out, so they might of thought about sharing a machine then as well.  Smile   Not sure if there is any pressure in the boxes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi there

1) I believe for my part that humidity is a GOOD thing in the mid range as its the best way to help the aerial ways to stay effective.  But in the just level...
  --> Too much moisture is a sensation of verdrinking you can experiment during a very hot shower in a closed bathroom.
  --> Too low moisture drive to iritation of aerial ways causing much more trouble and open doors to biologic attack...

2) Humidity is also the BEST way to matain living bacteriological materials. This is thus a BAD option inside our CPAP machines. Each wet surface is a culture medium. the bowl, and any part after it is then a medium for any biologic materials.
Hi there

I believe for my part that humidity is a GOOD thing in the mid-range as it’s the best way to help the aerial ways to stay effective.  But in the just level...
  --> Too much moisture (above 80%) is a sensation of downing you can experiment during à very hot shower in a closed bathroom. This situation happens with very strong level of moisturizing level with CPAP…
  --> Too low moisture level (below 45%) drive to irritation of aerial ways causing much more trouble and opening doors to biologic attack...

FACT:
Humidity is also the BEST way to maintain living bacteriologic materials. This is thus a BAD option inside our CPAP machines. Each wet surface is a culture medium. the bowl, and any part after it, is then a medium for any biologic materials (good and bad ones!). Home rooms are not labo purified rooms and dust, skin parts, hair and so on fly in microparticle around you. They carry many and many biologic hazard...

Anybody can see it like this :

[Image: hammershc3b8i_danse-lumiere-gd.jpg]

FACT:
Keeping any CPAP part completely clear of undesired biologic material is far much more complex than for a door handle or a flat surface like à smartphone. DO you bleach your hose every signgle day as manual say to ?

MY CONCLUSION:

This is why, FOR MY PART, I never more use humidifier bowl. My position is that all requested level of humidity MUST be in the ambient room conditions.

But, anyone who trust that:
-        warm tap water is sane enough for him,
-        turbulent air of CPAP ventilator does not carry anything else than vapor and
-        hose reliefs do not deposit any biologic hazard
shall do what he wants as long he believes he is in the wright understood of biological behaviors.

Just a little question: how do we make biologic cultures? using wet surfaces or upon dry ones? Where is the live on earth? dezert or swamps?

You whant to use humidifier in corona treatment? thinck about this : shall we give any opportunity to virus to develops or give it the hardest condition of survival ? CPAP Humidifier's bacteriologic conditions  is good for your strong and sane lungs, is it the same for corona disease lungs?

THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL ADVICE, and anybody shall do what he wants to do with his own humidifier bowl.
Your live, your choice.

Be safe,
François-Jsoeph.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.