Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
According to
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-04-b...ldren.html

it's a good thing to traet room ambiant air to down dust level.
No dust, no easy carryage to virus.

As room cleaner/purifier can do that, I think we should consider the possibility to use vaccum cleaner (like a Dyson) with HEPA filter in output to low the spreading of virus out of CPAP COVID users.

This is really a noisy solution, but in case of need... Maybe using it as negative presure room with exhaust outside the house ?

This should be thought...

Stay safe.
François-Joseph.
(04-06-2020, 02:05 PM)Gary Mussar Wrote: I read an interesting article about humidity talking to Dr. Stephanie Taylor, a graduate of and lecturer at Harvard Medical School and Dr. Samira Mubareka, a medical microbiologist at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital. Certainly not a peer reviewed medical journal so take it with healthy skepticism.
https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-news...es-2229211
Hi,
in the link I read:
"Transmission is greater in dry air, infectivity is higher in dry air, and the ability of a human being to fight infection is impaired," said Dr. Stephanie Taylor, a graduate of and lecturer at Harvard Medical School.
Transmission is greater in dry air ??? any study for this assesment ?
infectivity is higher in dry air ??? Ineffectiviity of what ?

The problem is NOT to fight CORONA WITH HUMIDITY, but to PROTECT HUMAN LUNG from agressive and iritation condition of DRY AIR.

Maybe I'm wonrg, buttThis is slightly different and bring me to think taht the article tiitle "Researchers look at humidity as a weapon in the fight against airborne viruses" is a click bait

Stay safe,
François-Joseph.
Just a "public service" reminder that commercial links directly relating to COVID-19 issues we're discussing in this thread are allowed in this thread.  This applies to this thread and any other thread marked with a red [COVID-19] prefix tag, in addition to any posts made in our new COVID-19 Forum which will soon be visible to the entire membership.

See here for more info:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...19-threads

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

A NYC hospital has figured out how to turn sleep apnea machines it got from Elon Musk into ventilators for coronavirus patients

Read.....

https://yahoo.com/news/nyc-hospital-figu...00815.html

In the above article there is a link to the exact modifications needed. Here is the document...

https://inside.mountsinai.org/wp-content...osting.pdf

It appears to address a lot of the issues that have been discussed in this forum. It also appears that the recommended modifications require some additional equipment in addition to  just the BiPAP, including a way to supply O2 and monitor. But it does recommend BiPAP settings.

I don't have a BiPAP, but hopefully somebody here can use this information to come up with a DIY method for those with access to a BiPAP.

Moderator note: I have activated the links.
Hi dcuste. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Thanks for posting those links - unfortunately this method describes how a sleep apnea machine can be used as the pressure source for invasive ventilation. This is only suitable for in-hospital use as the patient must be anaesthetised and a tube inserted down the airway. It is not a DIY solution.
Minor update on "Marburg Project": Deutschlandfunk (DLF) (German Broadcaster) "Aus Forschung &Technik" (From Research & Technology) a few minutes ago:
German approval Authority (BfArM) (Agency for Drug Registration) has some doubts on hygienic  and long term stability of these additional breathing valves. Until solved there would be no release. Therefore Uni Marburg will not provide schematics, building plans and  material bills…

stay tuned!
Cryonix
I see two main ideas to take away from that NYC article on using BiPAP machines as ventilators:

1: Pressure to start with: 25/15. This is fine for a BiPAP, but even a plain CPAP set at 20 cm H2O, should be way better than nothing, and a modern CPAP or APAP set at 20, with pressure reduction on exhale (called EPR in a ResMed AirSense 10) set at its maximum of 3, should be even better, giving 20/17

2: It indicates that just a viral filter on the exhaust is good, so maybe we don't need to exhaust to the outdoors, but we should still consider negative room pressure, as there will be significant leakage around the mask.
Why will there be significant leakage around the mask?  
  • Because it is the wrong mask to use for this user or
  • Because it is not fit correctly or
  • Because the straps are too tight or
  • Because the straps are too loose?
(04-08-2020, 09:29 AM)bonjour Wrote: Why will there be significant leakage around the mask?  
  • Because it is the wrong mask to use for this user or
  • Because it is not fit correctly or
  • Because the straps are too tight or
  • Because the straps are too loose?

I agree that the correct mask properly adjusted will have minimal leakage if any with normal breathing but if the patient has a cough I believe there will be significant leakage. I usually have no leakage from my AirFit F20 but I tried coughing with it on and with each cough there was  explosive leakage due to the elasticity of the headgear and flexibility of the seal. Even when I placed my hand over the mask to counteract the elasticity of the headgear there was significant leakage. Since coughing is frequently associated with Covid-19, I think debainbr makes a valid point.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

No dispute with a good potential for leakage during a sneeze or a cough. I did not consider that. I assumed the reference was simply on wearing a mask at higher pressures of approaching 20+.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 561 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.