Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
I am a long time CPAP user with no special knowledge other than that my ResMed ASV machine works wonders for my complex apnea, atrial fibrillation, and blood pressure.

Here's an article about how Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City is turning VPAP machines into ventilators:
https://health.mountsinai.org/blog/mount...worldwide/

My sleep doctor, actually a nurse practitioner in a large sleep group, sent me links to two articles.  The first asserts that the virus can travel by aspiration to the lungs, even during sleep, and contains some suggestions for preventing this.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/opinions/...index.html

The second article has some FAQs about using a CPAP during the pandemic, including concerns about transmitting it to others.  Much of the material may already be familiar to most, but I found some of it to be helpful.
https://aasm.org/coronavirus-covid-19-fa...-patients/
(04-14-2020, 09:16 PM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: "  I will also add supplimental Oxygen as needed to maintain a saturation level of at least 90%, if possible. "

Adding oxygen to the airstream output of a CPAP type machine is something I have done for years. I think that it takes much more oxygen than you think. It is diluted much more than without the CPAP. However any help keeping your oxygen level up is great. I sometimes must turn my oxygen up to the machines max.

If my oxygen machines alarm sounds I ignore it. The alarm is set up to tell you that less than about 85% oxygen. As the flow from the oxygen machine is increased you are still getting more oxygen output. The CPAP reacts by decreasing it's flow rate and maintaining pressure.
Is it possible to use a canula and a FF mask? Perhaps the oxygen tube causes too much leakage.?

Do all mask manufactures make oxygen feed in fittings?

All best to members, keep well
I would say yes, the cannula and a CPAP mask together would leak far more than acceptable.

I can't vouch for all CPAP manufacturers, but I know ResMed has a special hose, the ClimateLine Oxy, that has a built-in air bleed at the machine end. I'm sure Respironics and others do offer similar air bleeds.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
CPAP Oxygen Bleed adapters are available Just search for them. not expensive.
I have used an oxygen bleed in adapter on my machine since I got it. I have it attached at the end of the hose closest to the mask. I just wanted to note here that the adapter does not have to be at the machine end, in case there is any confusion about that.
(04-19-2020, 10:56 AM)KallyA Wrote: I have used an oxygen bleed in adapter on my machine since I got it. I have it attached at the end of the hose closest to the mask. I just wanted to note here that the adapter does not have to be at the machine end, in case there is any confusion about that.

My original mask (over 20 years ago now) had 2 oxygen bleed connections on it. I had stupidly thought all masks might have that but found out quite differently when I had to change the mask style. I now have adapters that are independent of the mask and actually got to use one for a surgery 2 years ago.
Gary
universal adapter is under $5 on Amazon  with free shipping
Interesting use of CPAP machinery in the UK. Not quite sure what these 'black boxes' are - but sounds like they are the most basic cpap machines out there. Beginning to look like CPAP/Oxygen is a very powerful tool....

Not allowed to post a link.....so here's the first two paras of the article:
+++++
A small dedicated team at Warrington Hospital appears to be leading the way in cutting COVID-19 death rates with ‘black boxes’ normally used for sleep disorders.

Clinicians at the hospital say there has been less need for more intrusive ventilators and they appear to be having a far quicker patient recovery rate.
Medics have modified devices known as “black boxes” which normally treat sleep apnoea – a condition when breathing stops and starts whilst sleeping.
One of the hospital’s consultants Dr Mark Forrest said they had started from “ground zero” in how to manage the pandemic in the area.
+++++
Eenteresting!  (above)  Googling on the key terms above, here's an article which mentions "cpap machines"  AND black boxes, so it's not clear quite what the black boxes are.  I wonder if we can find out.     https://www.kingdomfm.co.uk/news/headlin...-disorder/

Nearly identical article  https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-h...r-11977789
says they wanted CPAP machines, but only had 6 of the expensive devices.  But they had these "black boxes" used during sleep testing.  Sure makes it sound like a CPAP is a huge help!!

They do mention adding in oxygen, at one point in the article.  My late ex had oxygen added in our bedroom, so that's not too difficult to do.  An oxygen concentrator was supplied for him, but I bought another on ebay.   (Don't have it now.)
Hi all, my 1st post here,

There is a hospital in Warrington, UK that has been using CPAP machines adapted for oxygen use to treat critical corona virus patients instead of ventilation. They are reporting very promising results.

Was wondering how easy it would be to set that up at home with our machines?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 564 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 492 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 905 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,885 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.