Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP user for 5 years, switched to BIPAP
RE: CPAP user for 5 years, switched to BIPAP
OMG! I should look at the screenshot before I send. I have been doing these on my surface pro and using that beta version. I see that same view you sent on my screen when I screenshot the page. Assuming the screen I was captured correctly, I post what has been captured, only to find out that it's the welcome screen. You guys must think you are dealing with a real piece-of-work! F12 on this machine gives exactly what I sent, it does not take a screenshot. in fact, the functionality of the Sleepyhead program is horrible on the surface. I need to delete it and just use on a desktop. I'll get the correct chart to you asap.
Thanks for putting up with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, sorry guys...I am at the desktop and the same thing is happening. F12 only captures the screen I sent previously. I'm looking at exactly what you want, hitting f12 and I get the welcome screen only. This version bust have a glitch. 

I'm attempting again with a printscreen and paint. Hopefully this will work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you have the image thing down. These results are better. You are using AVAPS, at what appears to be 8.5/7.5, but I need you to verify settings including backup rate because Sleepyhead is a bit unreliable still for this model, and mask pressure looks like 10/7. I need a reminder why you are using this machine and settings. Although the statistics show 100% patient triggered breaths, the hash marks on the chart suggest quite a few triggers, and looks like the 11.2 per hour reported in events.. Resp rate looks a little high.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure what AVAPS is. The Dreamstation BIPAP ST is set to 13.0 IPAP and 9.0 IPAP. BPM 10, Ti is 1.2.
My doctor suggested this machine after using a CPAP for 5 years. my AHI numbers were sporadic from 4-29. CAs and OAs were very high and Hypopneas were and still are. Doc said ASV would most definitely work but at quite a hefty price, twice what I paid for this machine. He said give the ST a shot. I have felt much better using the ST, and rarely wake up in the middle of the night like I used to on CPAP.
Are there other settings you need?
I'm not sure why respiratory rate shows so high. Just sitting here I'm at about 14. Why would sleeping be so high? Not sure if this matters, but I have a very low resting heart rate around 42. BP is normal. Could the respiratory data be inaccurate?

Thanks, once again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ST is far from ideal for you and cannot substitute for ASV. Rather than repeat myself, I have made all these points in this similar thread by FE350 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d-you-guys There are many suggestions there on settings for the ST machines, and I have some posts comparing the application and pressure delivery differences.

If you can find a way to get a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV your problems will be fully resolved. I honestly think this machine is a waste of time to save a few dollars, and the ST is not appreciably less expensive. Did you get the ST new? I don't understand why it was presented as much less expensive because the online price seems close. ASV also works with Sleepyhead. Supplier # 2 has the Philips Dreamstation Auto SV for $2149 new, and the Aircurve 10 ASV for $1749 lightly used and $2149 new. I recall we discussed these options before, and no one ever saw the ST as a solution for you, it is simply meant to address a different set of problems.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
While your numbers are good Now it is very likely that you will have irregular episodes of bad numbers which will demonstrate that an ST is not the appropriate machine for you. The ASV will react to you on a breath by breath basis eliminating this.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO ST isn't a good substitute for the ASV in your case. Square peg and round hole type of thing. Wishing you get what's NEEDED.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cbombzzz please listen to the ones on this board and try to get an ASV.

My experience… in February after my titration study showed and onset of a high amount of CA’s (including one of the CA’s of 165 seconds and a low blood O2 of 71%) my sleep doctor incorrectly prescribed the Dreamstation BiPap S/T. My insurance company was willing to pay the big bucks that my DME charged for the equipment. (Fortunately, I only had to pay a fraction of that out-of-pocket)

Unfortunately, all this happened before I knew that Apnea Board existed. So I have to settle with the S/T for the next 4 years and 9 months left on my insurance requirement, but you don’t have to. Here is a link to Respironics Titration protocol https://philipsproductcontent.blob.core....3de0e6.pdf. Notice the first page that shows the Patient types. The solution for Complex sleep apnea is ASV.

In my case, however, the experts here on AB were able to help me adjust my settings so that I could get the best therapy possible. I still feel that I'm fighting my machine occasionally, but in the 5 months since I made the final adjustments I’ve had an average 0.5 AHI with only a few days over 1. Thank you Sleeprider and others that came to my aid. Link = http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...djustments .

Cbombzzz hang in there and take these folks advice to heart. Wish you the best.

Kevin
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all,

I'm back with an update.
I went back to the doc to discuss my sleep results from the ST machine and told him about the research I have done (through you all). His first comment was that the ST machine is working effectively. I showed the respiratory rate and the high levels of hypopneas. He agreed that the respiratory rate is quite high. I told him I wanted to be set up with an ASV machine. After a lengthy discussion, he agreed to prescribe one. Since I am a cash payer, I had paid $2400 for the ST. The options I have are:

1. An even trade for a Respironics system one BIPAP ASV
2. Doc would order a Dreamstation BIPAP ST for $3375 and give me $2000 credit towards my purchase ($400 restocking fee of the ST subtracted).
3. Dreamstation BIPAP ASV from supplier two that was suggested earlier for $2149, and pay a $400 restocking fee for the current ST machine to the Doc and get $2000 back.

I prefer the Dreamstation as that is what I have been using for a year now and know how it works and I already have a few heated tubes and supplies. The Dreamstation app is also nice (although very buggy) to be able to see basic sleep results to determine if I need to analyze further in sleepyhead.

Any additional thoughts or helpful ideas?

Thank you all again.

C
Post Reply Post Reply
If the PRS1 60 Series BiPAP Auto SV Advanced DS960 has zero low hours, that is the lowest cost option, with no additional upgrade or restocking cost. I'm not aware of any advances in the therapy algorithm in the Dreamstation. You are effectively paying $2000 for a discontinued machine that is out of warranty.

It seems your net cost for the new Dreamstation from the doctor is $1375, and return the ST under option #2.

Your net cost for Option #3 is $549 after credit for the ST and a restocking fee. Both Supplier #2 and Supplier #33 will provide that price, and Supplier #33 will also provide an additional discount with the EXTRA3% coupon code. I think I would still use Supplier #2 based on history and more fair return policy.

I prefer the Resmed (FYI http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid278638 ) for most users, but the Philips machine should provide the therapy you need. If it was my choice, I would use Option #3, and get away from the overpriced machines by your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 495 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 633 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,504 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 181 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.