Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP user for 5 years, switched to BIPAP
RE: CPAP user for 5 years, switched to BIPAP
Your event rate looks just fine. Hypopnea may be related to flow limitation created by positional obstruction. You can zoom into the events and if you see big flat tops or downward sloping inspiratory peaks, then that's likely the problem. The Wiki on flow limitation provides a pretty good idea of what this looks like.

Large leaks are excessive, and if the only way you can shut them down is by cranking down on the mask straps, then your mask does not fit properly. Consider looking for a different make, model or size.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Checking back in with you guys...
Having much more success with the ASV machine than I ever thought. AHI has reached a maximum of 2.1 but most nights around 1. I even had a night with a 0. Amazing!

Quite often I do wake up with an extremely dry mouth and can barely get my lips apart. What is the cause and remedy for that?

Again, your help is much appreciated and I hope others that have followed this thread are also benefiting.

C
Post Reply Post Reply
It's good to hear the BiPAP Auto SV is working well and life is easier. Check your leak rate, you might be opening our mouth.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, looks like the leak rate is the problem. The second attachment is a good example of the leak and what happens to the pressure. Very interesting. I want more nights like this.
As a reminder, I'm using a nasal pillow. Does that mean I should be using a mask with a chin strap? If so, any recommendations?
Are there other issues with a high leak rate other than dry mouth? In other words, should I just go not worry about it?

Thank you.

C
Post Reply Post Reply
Chombzzz, this request has nothing to do with therapy but to better understand the Philips DS SV. Could you please post a chart with a zoomed view of the flow rate and mask pressure? No more than 2-minutes so we can see how the pressure is delivered, and what the respiratory flow looks like. If you are ambitious, post two charts, one with spontaneous breathing, and one with triggered breaths as indicated by those black hash marks on the top of the chart.

Thanks,

Tom
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Is this what you are looking for Tom?

Could you tell me what you are looking for and what your thoughts are? My respiratory rate has dropped from using the BIPAP AVAPS where the average rate was upper 40's to low 50's. On the current AutoSV, it is now in the mid-teens consistently. I'm very happy with the AutoSV and every bit of credit goes to Sleeprider and Bonjour. 

I'm currently researching other masks. I'm wondering if my current mask is not sufficient. 

Thanks,

C
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great. The Philips provides a square sine-wave pressure support that is very unlike the Resmed. In most of the segments you showed above there is moderate to severe flow-limitation, or the machine is creating a breath during what would otherwise be central apnea. I'm going to point Bonjour (Fred) to this post so we can consider how it might be helpful in a Wiki comparing Resmed and Respironics ASV. The pressure support delivered by the respironics is not only delivered as a brief square wave pulse, it is often inadequate to fully resolve the flow limit or hypopnea. In most of these cases Resmed would have delivered higher pressure support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought about posting my findings in a new thread, but I think it still relates to this topic.

As you know, I've been using a GoLife nasal pillow mask throughout last year until two days ago when I switched to the WISP nasal mask. See the attached for the results. Feb 15 was GoLife, Feb 16 was Wisp. The Large Leaks have stopped. Although last light on Feb 17 (did not include that data) I had some large leaks when I had to shake the moisture out of the mask from massive condensation build up. We sleep with the window open and it was 4 degrees outside last night. Our room was 48 degrees.

I love the WISP mask so far and I think with the ASV machine it was a good decision to move away from the nasal pillows.

C
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 416 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,486 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,040 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.