Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP user for a month, low AHI, still wake up to pee 2-5 times a night
Smile 
CPAP user for a month, low AHI, still wake up to pee 2-5 times a night
Hi everybody, I have started using a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet for a month and I don't think it has helped me improve at all, here are some facts:
  • I'm 23, male, 157 lb, 5'11", exercise regularly, good mental health, but have ADHD
  • I went in because I have started to wake up to pee excessively (2-5 times a night). I don't drink water for 3 hours before sleeping.
  • My sleep study results (at-home WatchPAT recording): The patient recorded a total of 8.25 hours. Apnea/Hypopnea Index = 2.8/hr. Minimum O2 saturation was 94%; RDI = 13.2/hr.
  • I used to snore a lot, but OSCAR doesn't seem to report much snoring (occasional)
  • I have a lot of trouble staying asleep, but the APAP prescribed doesn't seem to help me stay asleep
  • Most of the time I wake up after 90 minutes, sometimes mask still on, sometimes it is off. One time I was able to stay asleep for 4.5 straight hours without removing the mask, but I have done the same with CPAP detached before too.
  • Every time I wake up, I have to pee or else I won't fall back asleep
  • My dad was diagnosed with sleep apnea, doctor suspected that over the years it has led to his current arrhythmia and heart issues (had a pacemaker installed).
Attached some sample data:
First one - My longest record, 4.5 hours straight and the mask didn't come off.
Second one - fell asleep consecutively a couple times for 1 sleep cycle (90min) each. Sometimes when I am having trouble falling asleep I have a bunch of CA's (as you can see around 6:40 AM

Do I just need to give it more time? Will I eventually get more continuous sleep? I still wake up often tired and sleepy throughout the day due to waking up all the time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP user for a month, low AHI, still wake up to pee 2-5 times a night
Let's look at 3-minute views (not longer) of where you woke up. Let's see if something is happening.
Also a couple of 'random' views to see how your normal breathing looks. I am looking for non-logged events, typically flow limits though your stats for FL are great.
It does take time to relearn that you don't have to take bathroom breats through the night. The frequency typically goes up with untreated apnea because you are not 'sleeping' enough/soundly enough. As I indicated let's see if something is happening that we can specifically address.
Your EPR = 3, this means that you min pressure should not be less than 7
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP Therapy a little over two years now. Prior to it, I was getting up about every 60-90 min. to go to the restroom. I'm now down to about 3-4 visits per night. Still not feeling rested though. 

I turn 66 later this month, and am debating with myself whether or not I will continue therapy. I have a sleep doctor appt. on Nov. 4. I'm hoping the doc will be able to convince me to stay the course.  

Everyone reacts differently to the therapy. You being as young as you are, I would definitely stay with it. It will get easier as time goes by.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi iamsleepy,
Welcome to the forum.
First, I would be wait to see what develops.  For most of us, the damage from Sleep Apnea has accumulated for years, so it usually takes time to repair.  I would use a sleep log to record things like Sleep time, AHI, and Wakeups, so you can look back and review for trends.  A simple text file would suffice.  Your machine records detailed data until it fills the SD card, so you should be able to look back and start your log from the beginning.

Second, At your age, this amount of awakening to urinate seems unusual.  I would suggest a consult with your GP and/or a Urologist to see if there is some non-apnea issue affecting you.

Good luck on your journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
@Bonjour
Thanks for your reply, I've attached three wakeups and one screenshot of regular sleep breathing. I appreciate your time for looking into them! I'll keep at it and see if my body can't adapt to it.

@Big Guy
I'm sorry that you aren't able to get any restorative sleep yet, I hope that your doc can figure something out. I bet it is hard to adapt to wearing such a thing, I had a lot of trouble in the beginning too. Good luck and happy 66th Smile

@becker44a
Sounds good, I'll keep at it and review trends as they develop, after all I've only been at it for a month. As for seeing a urologist, I know my primary care recommended a blood test so they can see if I have diabetes or something that may cause the excess urine, but I thought that was unlikely since I exercise often and am pretty healthy. However you're right I might as well give it a try. I was under the impression that peeing this often can be directly caused by sleep apnea?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 1 85 03-16-2024, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 920 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,373 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 115 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 1,936 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,066 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.