Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] using way too much water
using way too much water
My CPAP machine keeps running out of water. It is a resmed. Can I use it without water and if so, do I need to make any adjustments on it?  Please hurry with an answer so I can get it fixed if necessary.

Thank you,
Carol
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: using way too much water
Which Resmed model?

With my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, one can turn off the humidifier while the standard water chamber is in place. Or replace the water chamber with the optional side end plate.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
My autoset for her with integral humidifier came without an end plate. So I guess that has to be bought separately.

I have used my air sense 10 elite without a humidifier in the first month and this came with the end plate. I believe you can use the machine with the humidifier tub inserted but without humidification by turning humidification to zero.

Your place of use must be very dry to completely finish a whole tub with a night's use. I presume you have tried bringing the humidification level right down to 1 with a corresponding lower temperature to the heated tube.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try turning the humidifier down or off.

The water usage is based on the settings and the humidity in the room. If you have the humidifier turned high (higher the number, higher the humidity going to you), then it will use more. If the room you sleep in is dry, the more it will use.

Do not use it with the humidifier turned on but no water in the tub.

Do you have the clinician manual for your machine? It will tell you how to adjust the settings. You can get it here:
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carol. Welcome to Apnea Board.

One cause of excess water usage is leakage. If your mask is leaking or you're breathing out through your mouth then the airflow increases to compensate and a lot more water is picked up from the humidifier. So... what do your leak numbers look like?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also try using a stand alone humidifier in your room if the air is dry.
This would help cut down on the amount of water used by your Cpap.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Carol, and welcome to the Apnea Board.

I agree with DeepBreathing, OpalRose, and PaulaO2, water usage is dependent upon settings, room atmosphere, and whether or not you're incurring large leaks.

1. Settings: You can access the humidifier settings and set it to a lower number or turn it off to see water usage results. I know you have an Auto and manual humidifier setting choice and then numbers that are just reference numbers that range from Off and then 1-8 on the ResMed. If using a heated hose, that is another setting to consider. It is similar in that there will be Auto or manual and then a temperature range to select. Humidifier and heated hose use are Comfort settings more or less. Personal preference rules here. It can affect therapy somewhat depending on what condition, AKA how much humidity, your body wants to breathe. BTW never mix no water in the tray and humidifier set to any ON setting.

2. Find out what your room atmosphere, in other words how warm or cool is the room and it's humidity level, is like. Likely, the room may be on the dryer side of humidity level. You can choose to address low humidity via a room humidifier if you want.

3. I suggest getting a copy of Sleepyhead reporting program for your PC. It's available at the top of Apnea Board's website under it's own title. This enables you to view lots of data for the CPAP therapy. Upon creation of a chart on your PC, via transferring data from the CPAP written on the SD card, you will then post in here as an attachment for us to view. In this case, we would like to see leak info. After seeing that, we can possibly explore leak issues that may be driving water use up.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.