Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP versus APAP
RE: CPAP versus APAP
(08-20-2013, 11:02 AM)mdorne Wrote: This was explained to me by the experts ...

Experts? Ex-perts?!?

So they are no longer pert?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP versus APAP
(08-20-2013, 11:02 AM)mdorne Wrote: But here's the thing, with the auto setting the machine will just tick over while you are breathing normally, and kick in when it detects your breathing has stopped.

The machine will apply pressure at all times. It may raise the pressure when necessary, and if it does it will remain at that higher pressure for some time. If that base pressure is too low you can always raise it. And if for some reason you need to, you can always put the machine in CPAP mode.

Quote:The problem being that if you have frequent consecutive bouts of no breathing it may not keep up with the frequency of each bout, hence the need for a constant pressure to keep the airwaves continually open. This was explained to me by the experts ... So depending on the severity of your condition auto for mild or constant if your airways need to be opened throughout the night.

Were these the same experts who are selling the machine? Keep in mind that the cheaper the machine they provide to you the greater the share of the insurance companies money they get to keep as profit. In other words they make more money is they sell you a cheaper machine. I hope you at least got a fully data capable machine.

Quote:Obviously my heart condition required my airways be opened throughout the night, so I'll go with what was originally prescribed for me

That's true, but it's what's known as a vacuous truth. Everyone who suffers from sleep apnea needs to keep their airway open all night.

The only case where your argument may apply is a patient with central speep apnea who simply stops breathing even thought he airway is wide open. And in those cases the argument would apply to a ASV machine, not a auto-CPAP machine.

I agree with you concerning the updating of your machine. If your pressure is not uncomfortably high you can accomplish at least as much and maybe more with a fully data-capable CPAP machine.

I'm confused, though, because your profile indicates that you already have a fully data-capable amd modern auto-CPAP machine.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 361 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 553 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 424 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 583 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.