Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP versus APAP
RE: CPAP versus APAP

JJJ--Following your scenario about the CPAP at 16cm eliminating the event while the APAP is working on it leads to the conclusion that a CPAP set at a high enough pressure will produce significantly better results than an APAP. Sorry, but I don't buy that. In addition, who wants to have a constant high pressure in their face (or up their nose) all the time when it's not needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dawei, I'm having trouble deciphering which part of your posts are quoting someone else and which is your own post... and I've been trying to keep up with this thread. Cool

Here's a how-to on how to quote properly:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...85#pid3285

I think part of the problem is that you starting typing in the middle of a quote perhaps and then try to fix the quote tag and it gets goofed up maybe? - I'm not sure what's happening with your posts.

No big deal, it's just that it's difficult to know what is your own post and what is quoted text. You should be able to go back and edit those posts and fix it - I sure would appreciate if you did that. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 09:47 PM)Dawei Wrote: JJJ--Following your scenario about the CPAP at 16cm eliminating the event while the APAP is working on it leads to the conclusion that a CPAP set at a high enough pressure will produce significantly better results than an APAP. Sorry, but I don't buy that. In addition, who wants to have a constant high pressure in their face (or up their nose) all the time when it's not needed.

I agree with your second point. Having pressures higher than necessary decreases the comfort level, hence my original point about the value of APAP for improved compliance.

But why can't you buy the idea that a machine running at 16 cm. (in my original scenario) would eliminate an apnea event that a machine in auto mode at 10-16 might not react in time to avert?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 09:47 PM)Dawei Wrote: And having said that, APAPs have one disadvantage over a CPAP, assuming the patient's pressure has been properly titrated. I.e., APAPs supposedly adjust to whatever the patient needs, but in real life practice they do not react fast enough. Suppose your APAP is set to, say, a 10-16 range. You are cruising along happily asleep at 10, and suddenly you have an apnea that requires 14 cm. to overcome. The machine will take 20-30 seconds to get all the way up from 10 to 14 because it keeps trying in 0.5 cm increments, waiting for the software to evaluate the results each time. If you had been running a straight CPAP at 16 that event would never have happened.

That's not a disadvantage to APAP, it's a choice of how you set the minimum pressure. If it bothers you, set the minimum pressure to 14. You still have some headroom to go up to 16 if you occasionally need it.

APAP gives you the choice of lower pressures most of the time vs. some temporary difficulty breathing.

Similarly, "monkey APAP" with the APAP set at 4-20 leaves you with a longer period of time to adjust upwards. One of the biggest requirements for proper APAP use is to set the minimum pressure high enough to give the optimal balance of treatment vs. delay.

I also find in my case, I feel better if I set my minimum pressure a little higher than the level that gives me essentially zero AHI. I presume I'm getting some degree of difficulty breathing even though I don't ever stop breathing completely.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 09:47 PM)Dawei Wrote: And having said that, APAPs have one disadvantage over a CPAP, assuming the patient's pressure has been properly titrated. I.e., APAPs supposedly adjust to whatever the patient needs, but in real life practice they do not react fast enough.
not exactly the S9 autoset increase pressure and act pre-emptively to snore and flow limitation ... both of which precede obstructive apnea.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 11:50 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 09:47 PM)Dawei Wrote: And having said that, APAPs have one disadvantage over a CPAP, assuming the patient's pressure has been properly titrated. I.e., APAPs supposedly adjust to whatever the patient needs, but in real life practice they do not react fast enough.

not exactly the S9 autoset increase pressure and act pre-emptively to snore and flow limitation ... both of which precede obstructive apnea.

My understanding is that the PRS1 does this also, yet I can assure you that it is still not tast enough.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see a comparison of the algorithms used by the Resmed and Respironics auto machines. Not that we're likely to get that information easily. I'm sure they keep their code a closely guarded secret.

If one of them really reacts faster than the competition it would be a strong selling point.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 08:40 PM)archangle Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 10:28 AM)IDRIck Wrote: Meta analysis is a very powerful research tool for aggregating data and analyzing trends across studies. Is it perfect? No. Is it highly valued and respected research within the scientific community? Yes. For those with an open mind, look at table 3 and you will see the results of 24 comparative studies. PAP therapy clearly reduces AHI and there is little difference in AHI reduction between APAPs and CPAPs.

Meta analysis is also a very powerful to to attempt to legitimize poorly done research by putting together a bunch of badly done studies. It's also a very powerful tool to manipulate results by introducing a selection bias.

Preparing a table of 24 badly done or irrelevant studies doesn't make the data any more correct.

Okay, you obviously believe that APAP are better. Please provide links/references to the well designed studies that clearly demonstrate significant biological improvements in OSA patients with a proper adjusted APAP over a properly adjusted CPAP. It should be easy since CPAP's were available first and are the gold standard. The new tech is always compared to the gold standard. I would sincerely like to read these studies. While I did not grow up in Missouri, I do like their "show me" motto.

Yes, yes, I do understand that my pressures would vary if I set my Autoset to APAP mode. I'm just not convinced that I would see any biological differences/improvements as my current therapy is effective and I am monitoring performance.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 08:19 PM)archangle Wrote: If you don't realize that an APAP machine is superior to CPAP, you simply haven't been paying attention. Anyone who argues otherwise has to be comparing "dumb APAP" to "smart CPAP."

You miss that obvious. I have successful results with a CPAP and question whether there any additional biologically significant benefits to converting to an APAP. I read lots of opinions but I'm not seeing good studies showing support. Show me, please, I'd like to read them.

Secondly, I feel I have excellent doctors and feel they have hit a home run with their recommendations. Based on the opinions expressed here, my doctors are way out touch and out of date. I disagree. It could be argued that they have taken a conservative approach and going with the proven, gold standard. I don't have a problem with a conservative approach.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2012, 12:41 AM)JJJ Wrote: Having said that, it would be interesting to see a comparison of the algorithms used by the Resmed and Respironics auto machines.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...y-Pressure

here is algorithms comparison of different auto machines by sleep review Sept 2009 before the enhanced S9 autoset (see posts #1 &2)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2012, 01:41 AM)zonk Wrote: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...y-Pressure

here is algorithms comparison of different auto machines by sleep review Sept 2009 before the enhanced S9 autoset (see posts #1 &2)

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,223 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 147 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 222 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 916 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 134 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.