Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP vs VPAP?!
CPAP vs VPAP?!
If this has already been covered than please just shoot me the best link that goes over this.

I have a Resmed S9 AutoSet. I am assuming that it is CPAP. It does adjust my air.

Anyway, I noticed an add for a Resmed S9 AutoSet VPAP and am wondering what this is all about. Some have commented that it is better for centrals and such.

Anyway, what's the difference? Am I just confused? Thinking of making the switch.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP vs VPAP?!
The Autoset VPAP is their bilevel CPAP. It's not for treating central events.

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...-auto.html
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 06:08 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: If this has already been covered than please just shoot me the best link that goes over this.

I have a Resmed S9 AutoSet. I am assuming that it is CPAP. It does adjust my air.

Anyway, I noticed an add for a Resmed S9 AutoSet VPAP and am wondering what this is all about. Some have commented that it is better for centrals and such.

Anyway, what's the difference? Am I just confused? Thinking of making the switch.

and the VPAP is more expensive than what you have already.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I took a picture of the label on the back of my S9 and the label on the back of the supposed VPAP.
Both machines appear to be identical. My machine label is the top one, VPAP is the bottom one.

Please let me know if this looks legit or if these are the same machine.

Also, is VPAP strictly a software feature and the hardware is the same?

Thanks, Cowboy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 10:03 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote: Ok, I took a picture of the label on the back of my S9 and the label on the back of the supposed VPAP.
Both machines appear to be identical. My machine label is the top one, VPAP is the bottom one.

Please let me know if this looks legit or if these are the same machine.

Also, is VPAP strictly a software feature and the hardware is the same?

Thanks, Cowboy

what does it say next to the on/off button? the outside of the machine, with the exception of what is written next to the on/off button will look the same. the innards will not be the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 10:11 PM)me50 Wrote: what does it say next to the on/off button? the outside of the machine, with the exception of what is written next to the on/off button will look the same. the innards will not be the same.

It just says AutoSet, START/STOP, and EPR
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2014, 10:19 PM)cowboy1970 Wrote:
(03-13-2014, 10:11 PM)me50 Wrote: what does it say next to the on/off button? the outside of the machine, with the exception of what is written next to the on/off button will look the same. the innards will not be the same.

It just says AutoSet, START/STOP, and EPR

I think that is the s9 auto set then (not the elite or escape). mine says vpap auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it says "VPAP" it is the bi-level machine (unless it is an ASV, in which case it will say something different), if it says "AutoSet" it is an automatic pressure adjustment capable CPAP machine.

The VPAP models allow greater flexibility in inhalation pressure vs. exhalation pressure and usually have a higher max pressure (25 cm vs. the AutoSet's 20 cm H2O)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tested a CPAP auto end ended up buying a VPAP auto.. I found a big difference! I breath a lot easier with the VPAP. It also seems quieter than the VPAP... but this just may be in my head...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2014, 01:07 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: The VPAP models allow greater flexibility in inhalation pressure vs. exhalation pressure and usually have a higher max pressure (25 cm vs. the AutoSet's 20 cm H2O)
I heard that too about Bilevels having higher pressure maximums. However, I also read that many/most users going from CPAP to BPAP actual use a lower pressure on inhaling because of the assistance with lower exhaling pressure. Yes/no?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 628 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525
  Saving time/date in ResMed S9 vpap adapt Ed in SoDak 4 484 06-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt ASV vs VPAP ST stanleyjack 4 468 04-05-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How do i set these values on Resmed Lumis 150 VPAP ST fakeinternetmoney 7 1,229 08-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: fakeinternetmoney

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.