Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] what happened to me last night?
RE: what happened to me last night?
Sounds like you still have the train wreck.
Bump min to 7 and EPR to 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I read your sleep study, you had 67 apnea events, of which 15 were obstructive and 52 were therefore central or unclassified hypopnea. Watchpat is a rather poor substitute for a clinical polysomnograhic study, but I think the next step is going to be a clinical titration test, and hopefully it will include bilevel and bilevel with backup (ASV) based on the apparent CPAP results. If your Watchpat results were purely obstructive, the CPAP results would be more perplexing. Gideon is trying to optimize settings to minimize central events, and is on the right track. If they can be tamed, and you feel you can get restful sleep, that's great. Some people adjust and minimize events, others find a need to move to more advanced PAP therapy solutions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To be clear, I am waiting to see the results of attempting to minimize CA events before I too commit to getting an ASV as Sleeprider is suggesting. IMHO if the attempt fails, and it very well might, it strengthens the argument for ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok so here's the last two nights. i don't really see any reduction in the central events, although i'm still relatively new to this. last night it even indicated there was cheyne-stokes breathing, which i looked up and seems to occur if you have heart failure...which i don't think i have, i would think i'd be aware of that? i think tonight i'll raise the minimum pressure to 7. if i really had that many central events during my sleep study... wouldn't the doctor have noticed that? do you think they just threw a machine at me without really examining the results closely (it's kaiser... so i'm guessing its possible) 

Post Reply Post Reply
First ResMed calls any and all periodic breathing CSR, it very rarely is.

Second, other than comfort, there is no reason to raise min pressure. If your EPR was 3vthete would be, but it isn't.
Reduce EPR from 2 to 1 to see if your centrals decrease.

Third, central Apneas are consistently inconsistent, in other words they jump all over the place.

Finally, doctors notice central apnea? Typically not unless you are over CAI > 5.
We have even seen sleep reports with hundreds of events, all but 1 event classified as central and the patient was diagnosed with OSA and given treatment for OSA and not central apnea.
It is one of the reasons we often ask to see the full copies of the sleep studies.
Post Reply Post Reply
here's the last three nights. i thought i was doing better, saturday and sunday looked like improvements when i made adjustments to the machine, although i didn't feel any better the next day. last night apparently i took the mask off again (don't remember doing this) then had some crazy half hour of straight CAs before i woke up. i'm not noticing any difficulty in exhaling with the EPR set to 1, i sort of got used to it (or so i thought) but maybe i should just turn it off altogether? 

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 863 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 899 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 360 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster
  What Happened at 3 a.m.? dhamments 9 931 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: dhamments
  first night taped. what happened? rogerncormier74 5 773 04-13-2022, 07:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Symptoms] What happened between 04:40 - 05:00 ? edgnoj 10 1,302 01-20-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: edgnoj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.