Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP when sick with thick mucous?
CPAP when sick with thick mucous?
I am sick with chills, aches, and a very runny nose. Last night I slept with my cpap as usual and slept a good solid 6 hours. In the morning I had VERY THICK mucous in my chest and when coughing, my airway became blocked with a large mucous plug. I could not cough it up, could not breathe, could not talk, I called 911. Scary as hell. Did not go in ambulance as I managed somehow to dislodge mucous.

This has never happened to me before - but Im wondering if the cpap makes me sleep TOO soundly when sick allowing post-nasal drip mucous to accumulate?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP when sick with thick mucous?
It is probably not related to CPAP other than you slept less disturbed. The added humidity should have helped relieve some congestion. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about getting an expectorant (not cough suppressant) to avoid recurrence.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2015, 09:44 AM)Daisylouu Wrote: I am sick with chills, aches, and a very runny nose. Last night I slept with my cpap as usual and slept a good solid 6 hours. In the morning I had VERY THICK mucous in my chest and when coughing, my airway became blocked with a large mucous plug. I could not cough it up, could not breathe, could not talk, I called 911. Scary as hell. Did not go in ambulance as I managed somehow to dislodge mucous.

This has never happened to me before - but Im wondering if the cpap makes me sleep TOO soundly when sick allowing post-nasal drip mucous to accumulate?

My brother has chronic problems with mucous due to a specific illness. Bipap DID NOT make it worse (he got it after the mucous issue started). He uses Mucinex (brand name, not store brand) and it does the job without interfering with his other medications. It's just one of those things that happen some times. Glad you are ok!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got over some awful congestion, and found that I fared better when adjusting the humidity a little bit lower than normal while stuffed up. I know a lot of people find it helpful to raise the humidity, so not sure why doing the opposite worked for me (maybe because I live in an already-very-humid place?).

Definitely agree with the Mucinex suggestion, that stuff is great! Feel better soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mucinex is just one of many brands of Expectorant that contain the active ingredient Guaifenesin. Many over-the-counter private brands containing guaifenesin can be purchased for much less as well as other brand names:
Bronkaid
Mucinex
Robitussin DAC
Cheratussin DAC
Robitussin AC
Cheratussin AC
Benylin
Buckley's
DayQuil Mucus Control

Where's Daisylouu? Hope things are going better by now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that there are plenty of other brands. However, if you take many medications, you want one that contains ONLY guaifenesin since other ingredients can affect how your current meds work. For reasons unknown, the store brands do not work as well as the name brand Musinex; you'd think that they would work the same. Doc says sometimes, even though they have the same active ingredient, the base is different and how your body reacts to that base can change the effectiveness.

Same thing with Halls Eucalyptus cough drops. NONE of the store brands or other Halls brands work as well to suppress chronic coughing than that specific one (I had post nasal drip). Yet, if you have just an ordinary cough (cold, dust, whatever), store brand is good enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mucinex is a single ingredient drug (Guaifenesin) that comes in a nice time released format. I really appreciate that about Mucinex in particular!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I usually reach for plain Mucinex (or the store brand equivalent) because I can't take the other ingredients that gets bundled with guaifenesin in so many OTC brands. I'm going to look up some of the less-familiar (to me) ones you mentioned, though!

(12-04-2015, 11:34 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mucinex is just one of many brands of Expectorant that contain the active ingredient Guaifenesin. Many over-the-counter private brands containing guaifenesin can be purchased for much less as well as other brand names:
Bronkaid
Mucinex
Robitussin DAC
Cheratussin DAC
Robitussin AC
Cheratussin AC
Benylin
Buckley's
DayQuil Mucus Control

Where's Daisylouu? Hope things are going better by now.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's all about reading labels once you know what you're looking for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 330 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 549 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Cpap made me sick? koy23 5 911 12-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Last Post: koy23
  leaks (mask or mouth?) excessive tearing (leak or dry mucous?) Ghandi 28 2,440 04-08-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Ghandi
Gross CPAP Made me well - sick. Asthma.Acne.Etc. dbw45 11 2,017 02-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: booksfan
  I keep getting sick jteetie 21 2,780 10-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Last Post: walkingdead
  Trouble tolerating CPAP while sick (cough, congestion, nose bleeds) ColoradoMom 12 2,891 01-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.